Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Suite 1250
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
February 1, 2010

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Josh Spurgin, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams Guest: Rachel Schipper
Announcements
  1. Will's puppy is now 28 pounds and is getting along well with the other dog.
  2. Grover documentation - verify warranty info for new equipment. Status of new equipment that has not been issued should be: unused. Update location in the note field as well. Bobbie will be going through Grover to clean up database information. ECCN number, required by UF policy, must be listed in Grover. The programmers will work on cleaning out the list of vendors - making an active vendor list.
  3. IT Relocation - Will met with the architects to review port and outlet requirements. There will be 2 data lines per network port and the standard power lay out. Should be plenty for our department. The Hardware Unit will not be located out there until the transportation issue is solved. We still have the issue of the tapes in the server room and all of the equipment that needs to surveyed. The tapes are under review by the Selectors. They could conceivably be stored at ALF if any of them need to be kept.
Ongoing IT Updates
Orders
  1. Trying to keep them moving.
  2. Looking to replace the out-of-warranty machines in West public and some staff. Will be using FCLA funds.
  3. Rachel is asking about the disposition of the LCD monitors for MSL. It needs to be expedited.
Hardware
  1. Public printing - big meeting last Thursday with Canon reps, UF Purchasing, Gator One and Pharos. All of the issues we've had were discussed: lack of response when reporting problems (they now have set timelines), resolution of the timeout problem (it has been identified as a Pharos problem), Scan to USB allowing printing - that will be a second quarter fix. Not recognizing all USB keys - not an issue until scan to USB is resolved. Duplex timeouts - Pharos issue. The PO is now in place for a maintenance contract. Drawer lock problem - they are going to screw them in now, rather than relying on the glue to hold. Laptop printing not discussed.
  2. DHCP - on hold.
  3. Videoconferencing - Almost all of the IT staff have been trained in Room 1A. Evan has a conference call with the vendor today. Evan will work with Patrick to find a free software solution for the computer to attach to videoconferencing. Got the blueprint form Rob for the space in East Campus.
  4. Staff and high-end images have been updated. Public image to be updated today.
  5. Laurie indentified some 15" monitors at MSL that need to be surveyed. They were replaced last summer and have just been sitting around.
  6. ReturnIL software package to replace Steady State - they are modifying the product for us and will demo. If we decide to get rid of the Admin rights on public machines, we will not have to purchase ReturnIL. We could just go back to Deep Freeze. Evan is still working on a quote for ReturnIL.
  7. We identified that non-Library staff cannot log on to the computer in Room1A. That was our policy in the past, but we should move it to a public OU so their log on is possible.
  8. New hardware labels - to be printed from the Dymo printer. We're already using it in West. Will set one up on the repair table in East.
  9. Evan needs to go over the Altiris statement of work with Will. Logan notes for VMware we are on v.4. Need to make sure they support it.
  10. User safe task force - HR is working on a staff index of computer requirements (6 levels). They've asked Michael to incorporate 2 minimum levels of IT troubleshooting requirements.
  11. West directional sound - off the table. Not functional.
  12. Amy is working with the coordinators in West on a project to put out time-limited workstations for non-student patrons. Time would be limited to 2 hours per day. Might want to see if MSL wants this as well. Rachel advises to keep in mind that this is a proposal right now - it has not yet been approved. We will discuss it at MMM.
  13. Win7 - on hold for Altiris. Stephen keeps getting restarts for updates. Stephen is advised to put a ticket in Grover to notify Evan to check on it.
Software
  1. Grover mods for Electronic Reserves and ARL HR project can be moved to pending.
  2. Room reservation app - on hold. FCLA is working it. As far as how FCLA is handling it with mobile handheld devices -check with Jason.
  3. ITS HR request - Shruti has finished it.
  4. Mobile apps - demoed prototype. Tom sent requested changes to both Chris and Shruti. Shruti is working on the Staff Directory mobile app.
  5. ARL stats for Steve Carrico - Tom Bielicke is going through historical data.
  6. Cataloging stats - Tom Bielicke is writing a Web page around Jason rotating out. Jason may remain an additional two months, if approved by Provost.
  7. Macros - Preservation is ongoing. Cataloging enhancements on hold.
  8. VIVO Version .9 rolled out on Friday, but it didn't work. Version 1 will contain linked data. It should be out in February.
Network/Server Admin
  1. Virtualization - CNS is installing two new SAN towers, migrating the data. Logan talked to Ian on Friday. There's no hard date for completion, but once the migration is done they will restart provisioning VMs.
ILS
  1. Aleph update this weekend.
Web Projects
  1. Tom met with HSCL Web folks. Dwight will be replaced soon by Zeke McClusky. He had questions regarding Forms-to-Mail. Tom informed them to put in a Grover ticket to ask for a token. Zeke does the Illiad set up in HSCL.
  2. Mobile apps - HSCL asked about it. College of Medicine uses WordPress. Carlos is their Web guy. Our mobile apps are good to go once the Dean approves.
  3. Outdated Web info - most moved to a folder. John Ingram says they will try to push to move LibGuides. There is some resistance from Selectors.
  4. Content management - slowly working on basic template.
  5. Meeting Friday - UF Web developers - many other units are using WordPress. Joe Spooner is doing the WordPress set up.
  6. Emerging Technologies meeting - using mobile apps to browse the Library shelves by call number. Users would be able to hold the pointer over the book to show the title, etc. Might need to label the ranges - this would be a Public Service decision. Also discussed LibGuides on a small screen for mobile apps. Intranet for staff info - if we move to SharePoint, it will be our Intranet. SharePoint will be protected by the UFAD log on.
DLC General Issues
  1. FTP can come off the list (VM).
  2. Logan is configuring the ABBY OCR software.
  3. JPG2K - Aware software on order. Can migrate to 2K8 and run the Web server separate, and then add storage.
  4. Streaming video - the cost is in a spreadsheet. Configuration is waiting on CNS. No timeframe has been given. Virtualization includes a video server. Logan will need to know what formats will be used. Rachel suggests Logan check with Laurie Taylor.
Students and Department
  1. Will to finalize the IT budget for next year. Should include the cost of students and any necessary training.