- Emergency Help
- Computer Training for All Staff
- Blog Policy and Procedure
- Middle Managers Meeting Minutes
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609
Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354
Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
January 11, 2010
January 11, 2010
Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Patricia RuwellAnnouncements
Ongoing IT Updates
- It's cold!
- Bobbie's stepson ran a 26 mile marathon yesterday.
- Budget numbers for the Dean: need requests for furniture for Eastside offices as well as the server virtualization cost per year by month. Need to get the figures on Office Communicator. Leaning towards the Dean's original plan for the Hardware Unit to stay on campus. There is an issue with the lack of a vehicle. No information on parking permits. Move is on schedule for June 1, 2010.
- Will's new puppy is growing - he's at 12 lbs. now. He is starting to get along with the older dog.
- VIVO order - items going to different locations.
- Public printing - Scan to USB has been tested and is working. Likewise for duplexing. Neither fixes have been pushed. Timeout delay to remain as is: 13-20 seconds. Gatorlink problem last week - printing was down. Their fix was to restart the SQL server. They plan to upgrade to SQL 7 next month. No doubt that will be painful.
- Steady State replacement - Returnil - we may not need to purchase that product as we are looking at removing admin rights on public machines.
- Video conferencing - installation is behind schedule. They will return on Thursday to finish. The connectors for the microphones were wrong.
- User safe taskforce - conclusion on issues: fall in line with campus guidelines. Keep things current. Altiris should allow for that. Working with customers - let them know their responsibilities. Email is a problem - people clicking on links. There are no guidelines as to the consequences. General training/staff training needed, as well as cross training of IT staff. Grover issues discussed. IT blog - is it still functional? Browser policies - need to specify configuration. Sharepoint works better in IE. Archiving and back-ups are not being done by users. Need establish a recommended procedure and notify staff.
- Altiris - waiting for revised quote.
- Win7 - VIVO people will install. Josh is working on an image.
- Emily Madden has an old laptop checked out for extended use. She is having issues with it.
- Room reservation app - Chris is progressing with Shibboleth and the demo is ready to go this week. Will get input for changes from Stacey Ewing, etc and then demo for Judy.
- Macros - new one from Preservation.
- VIVO - Stephen is in San Diego.
- ITS HR Request - Shruti is wrapping it up.
- Missy Clapp had some requests to change the HSS site.
- Mark Sullivan - progress on Shibboleth - demoed to Judy. Lots of input.
- CNS virtualization - moving forward. Meeting scheduled for tomorrow. HSC web server may go with us. What about the proxy? That, too. Need to secure layers for proxy log on. Moving it to CNS should do that.
DLC General Issues
- HSCL is losing their web folks. We can help them; they can assist with mobile apps.
- Outdated Web - the issue with Collection Management seems to be a LibGuides issue.
- Mobile apps are taking up 100% of Web time lately. There is a list of items to include: computer availability, Ask A Librarian, EReserves, Library hours, etc. The programmers can start taking a look at some of the apps if a Grover ticket is created.
Students and Department
- FTP - nothing new.
- OCR - this week.
- JPG2K8 - Mark.
- Streaming video - may happen mid-way through the move.
IT Security Management
- New student hired: Whitney Johnson.
- Please remember to update PAULA.
- Bill's status: moving to West 540 this week.
- Meeting held.