- Emergency Help
- Computer Training for All Staff
- Blog Policy and Procedure
- Middle Managers Meeting Minutes
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609
Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354
Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
January 4, 2010
January 4, 2010
Present: Shruti Bagri, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Josh Spurgin, Mark Sullivan, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Ongoing IT Updates
- Bobbie has two-year old twins at her house for two weeks.
- Will and Michael's motorcycle ride - Michael didn't know it was a race.
- Library Council 12/21/09 - folks were receptive to the notion of taking away Admin rights on public machines (in response to Torpig, etc). CIRCA does not allow software installs. We will need to get a list of software CIRCA has pre-installed on their machines for patron use. Licensing might be costly. We will be able to update installation with Altiris. It also offers floating licenses.
- VIVO items should be shipping this week. They were holding out until after the holidays.
- Lenovo laptop batteries - need a better source. Will says we will order from GovConnection.
- Room 1A video conferencing installation to start today. They have not shown up yet.
- Public printing - Rafael thinks the problem is with the Aarmark software interfacing with Gatorlink.
- No quote received yet for the ReturnIL software.
- DHCP - on hold.
- User Safe Taskforce - meeting next Thursday then will present solutions to Bill.
- Win7 - on hold for Altiris and the Library.
- West checkout laptop cases breaking - all in the same spot. They are out of warranty. Costs about $200 to replace entire case. May need to consider buying new ones soon.
- Grover mods - on hold.
- Room reservation app - installing Shibboleth on Linux box - having a few problems. Can't roll out until that is done.
- Macros - Michael was out last week.
- ARL-HR project - Winston met with Bonnie Smith. She asked for some changes and he implemented them.
- VIVO - January 15 roll-out v.1 beta test. Stephen has to identify all datasets. Will pull XML file. Conlon wants us to talk to Warren Curry about affiliations. We do not want to list or store personal info, just department affiliation and name.
- IT HR Request - Shruti has a meeting scheduled for Thursday with Bonnie.
- CNS virtualization - meeting scheduled. Logan will try to do the database stuff first. He will be able to divulge the process following the meeting.
DLC General Issues
- Tom has returned from sabbatical.
- Meeting to be held Tuesday to re-address moving our Web site to a content management system (most likely, Wordpress). Will also discuss mobile apps.
- Outdated Web info - effectively done. Collection Management is still in need of attention.
Students and Department
- FTP rolls into the other server project now - will be in the virtualization queue with the rest of the servers.
- OCR software - will work on it this week.
- JPG2K - working on other solutions.
- Streaming video - new VM creation.
- Mark to present Faculty Self-Submittal to John on Thursday. Hope to have Shibboleth working by then.
IT Security Management
- Need to hire one more student.
- Paul and Caitlyn will be returning this week.
- Meeting held.