Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
December 21, 2009

Present: Shruti Bagri, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Josh Spurgin, Mark Sullivan

Guest: Rachel Schipper
Announcements
  1. Evan's wife is in labor.
  2. Will and Michael Jay went on a motorcycle ride this weekend. Will was going pretty fast.
  3. Altiris software is a-go. It will allow for software virtualization. We will have it installed near the end of January. We will all be trained. This should allow us to do 95% of our work remotely.
  4. Server virtualization at CNS has been approved. All of our servers will be managed and backed up by CNS. Should be done by the time we move in June.
  5. SharePoint is also a-go. Campus is offering SharePoint and Judy wants to join. Content management collaboration tools - centralized. It will be discussed today at Library Council today.
  6. Campus Exchange meeting - SharePoint discussed. There is a discrepancy in that smaller organizations have to pay the same as larger organizations. They talked about adjusting the charge. Folks will need to submit a Grover to request SharePoint. We will need training. Perhaps New Horizons. SharePoint is a good tool, but complex. We will check with campus to see if they will be offering training. There is no official timeline, but definitely by spring. There was also a debate about large amounts of data and attachments in email at the meeting.
Ongoing IT Updates

Orders
  1. VIVO items still have not been received.
Hardware
  1. Reimaging laptops.
  2. Lenovo laptop - warranty issue. It has been resolved. Should be here any day.
  3. Laptops at West all have at least one problem - they all are cracked. They are starting to break in half.
  4. Amy asks if the printing software is installed on the Education laptops. No.
  5. Lenovo - battery life - not maintaining two hour charge. Might want to warn patrons to watch the battery life. We need to order new batteries, but not from the last place we ordered them from because they are not good batteries. We need to find another source.
  6. Public printing/copying - Bobbie has been working with Rafael from Pharos, testing the time-out feature. Ongoing.
  7. Replacing Steady State - found a product that protects the master boot record: ReturnIL. Evan is getting a quote for it. Should get it in place for next semester.
  8. DHCP - on hold until spring.
  9. Video conferencing - 1A - installation in early January: January 4-7.
  10. User Safe Taskforce - working on ideas. Will put into a report for Bill. We won't be implementing it at this time.
  11. Windows 7 - on hold until the spring. Altiris can push it. Rachel asks that we let Shelley Arlen that we plan to eventually update public machines to Windows 7.
Software
  1. Electronic Resources queue in Grover - on hold.
  2. Room reservation app - FCLA may be putting out a product that will integrate with Mango. We're unsure if it will replace what we are doing.
  3. Macros - Michael is off this week.
  4. ARL HR Project data collection - Winston demoed it, now they want changes made. Winston will need to get info from Bill to get into the site, or, it can just wait until he gets back.
  5. HSCL - Illiad training - everyone seemed comfortable with it. Lending should be live. Borrowing - still training. Consultant in ILL: stay tuned one symbol rather than three.
  6. HR - Shruti is working on Bonnie's changes.
  7. Linux server for VIVO - Stephen got the software issue fixed. Separate database server - Stephen requested additional RAM. It is slowly moving forward as we transition to the new hardware.
DLC General Issues
  1. Things will change due to CNS migration. There is still a moratorium on new VMS until the beginning of the year.
  2. Abbey software - will FTP here first, and then install it at CNS.
  3. JPG2K - will be the biggest issue before migration. The managed servers will migrate first: SQL, Web and file servers. Will discuss with DLC after the break to formulate a plan.
  4. Rachel notes that Laurie mentioned that she is unable to measure capacity (statistical info) from the DLC servers. The Dean needs it for the AGRSSR meeting. Mark said he will talk to Laurie and show her how to get it.
  5. Streaming video - Logan asks Rachel what the status is, because he thought it was in Laurie Taylor's ball park, but she was asking him when it will be ready to go. Rachel says that no decision has been made, but we know we have donors who want to deposit streaming video. No official decision has been made. Logan will send the cost estimates to Rachel again. We have 350G worth of video now. 1TB of space would be good.
  6. Online metadata editing - done.
  7. Faculty self-submittal form - done, can be taken off the list.
  8. Shibboleth - looks easier than Mark thought. May get to it later this week.
  9. As far as the Web migration, we will need to know what direction we will be moving for managed hosting. Word Press will most likely be the direction. That will mean Apache. Right now we've been dealing with cleaning up the current site. When Tom returns in the spring, we will be moving in a different direction with the Web. Logan will get together with Tom and Matthew next semester to discuss.
Students and Department
  1. No students this week.
  2. Debra placed an ad to hire one more student, but will need to wait until classes are back in session to start hiring.
  3. Paul and Caitlyn will return for spring. Jessica is gone.
IT Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page