Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
December 14, 2009

Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Josh Spurgin, Stephen Williams
Announcements
  1. Bobbie has a new granddaughter.
  2. Will is getting a new puppy.
  3. Move update - we will reuse old furniture. Will to meet with the Directors on Friday - may have a better idea as to who is staying on campus and who is moving to the Eastside at that time.
  4. IT luncheon - Thursday.
Review Minutes of 12/07/09
  1. Software #8 - remove "Stephen's project".
  2. Web #1 - remove "nightmare".
Ongoing IT Updates

Orders
  1. Wish list items - FCLA funded orders going out gradually.
Hardware
  1. Public printing - Josh (Pharos) and Rafael (Canon) were both out last week. The timeout is still too long and USB scanning is not working. Another fix will take 6-8 weeks. Need to get them working on it. 2008 server updates taking too long to install could be part of the problem. Logan wants to wait until after this week to install. Hanging log-on issue - unsure if the problem is with us or Gatorlink. Law and HSCL are not having this problem. Michael notes that he used his card on the copier and it read the previous person's info. Bill ended up clearing the queue, Michael restarted the machine, and then it was fine.
  2. Torpig - Evan has been looking into two other products. One of them protects the master boot record. It would be a replacement for Steady State.
  3. Office Communicator - we need to buy licenses if we are going to move forward with it. $9 per user. It would certainly by usable in the future when our staff is relocated into different physical locations. Will to discuss it at MMM.
  4. DHCP in East - on hold for a week or until after Christmas.
  5. Videoconferencing - meeting following this one in room 1A with installer to discuss the setup.
  6. Issues Taskforce - meeting as scheduled.
  7. Malware alert - reported on Sunday. Need to obtain the mac address because it is not responding to pings. Cynthia says Grover did not display an alert. We need to add Michael Howell to the UFIRT mailing list so he can get the messages when working off-hours.
Software
  1. Winston met with Chris Poehlman about the Electronic Resources module for Grover. He put in a Grover programming ticket. It is awaiting Steve Carrico's approval.
  2. Room reservation app - base code has changed. BYU has a changed their site - new version. Online tool to reserve study rooms.
  3. Macros - more have popped up. Michael is handling.
  4. Illiad training - will be held tomorrow, not last week as previously announced.
  5. Vivo - PeopleSoft transformations complete. Server changed from old to new. All UF faculty loaded. Implementation visit to UF on Wednesday. Usability study to start soon. Trip to D.C. went well. Met with the Harvard group, discussed what we expect. None of the hardware or software ordered for Vivo has been received by us yet. Logan wants to roll the backups for that server into Tivoli. The data is primarily housed on the SQL server.
  6. Michelle Foss - mini grant - finished. No add-ons. It tracks materials that are used (but not checked out) by patrons.
  7. Shruti - ITS - Bonnie wants to record courses and certifications.
  8. Grover expansion can come off of the 'pending' section.
  9. MSL - SciFinder - Biostein now installed on the entire front row of public computers.
Web Projects
  1. Not too much new - checking links.
  2. BT calendar - soft roll-out. Demoed how it will work.
  3. Tom Minton - circular saw incident. He is okay.
DLC General Issues
  1. Virtualization on hold. Moratorium on new VMS creation. Will put the OCR server on our server for now.
  2. JPEG2K - will virtualize NT19 due to JAVA conflicts.
  3. Streaming video - nothing new. Gave cost estimates to Rachel.
  4. Wiki - SharePoint - meeting with Cathy Martyniak and Steve Carrico next week to discuss what they need.
Students and Department
  1. Two will be here throughout this week, then none next week.
IT Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page