Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
November 9, 2009
November 9, 2009
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Bill Covey, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams
Guest: Rachel SchipperAnnouncements
Ongoing IT Updates
- Rachel will be out travelling around/in meetings for the next five weeks.
- New hire for Paul's old position: Joshua Spurgin.
- Move update - Will met with the architect last week. There's a new floor plan. There was a bit of a hassle about the double doors.
- The order for 22 replacement workstations for West has been approved and is in process. Bill cautions not to configure orders with ASTI/AMD hardware.
- Public printing - Canon is supposed to show up today with the Pharos fix.
- DHCP in East - no update.
- Video conferencing - proposal from the Orlando company to go forward.
- Departmental laptops to be returned to IT - they should be using our newer ones for checkout, if needed.
- West checkout laptops - 30 are out-of-warranty. There is an issue with the chargers if they are replaced. Rachel suggests: perhaps they can be supplemented with ones from the West training room?
- Grover Purchasing module - Chris to demo this week.
- VIVO - training in Indiana this week to meet with the developers. They will be checking out the virtual client that allows product installation. What about the VIVO orders? Val was out sick last week. Will sent an order for approval to her. Still waiting on Conlon.
- Macros - moving along.
- Bridges made some changes to the ERP warehouse (Patron Updates).
- Room reservation application - Judy will be in the office this week.
- JABBR - pushed to back burner for now due to Grover expansion.
- No updates.
DLC General Issues
- Outdated Web info - Education and Music are done. Matthew is meeting tomorrow with Paul about the Maps and Documents sites. At a recent meeting with Branch Chairs, it was emphasized that departments had a month to comply.
- Matthew has a meeting with Judy today regarding consistency in pages.
- Met with a vendor about RSS feeds.
- Web apps for mobile - Matthew sent out his first All Staff email regarding browsing our website on a smart phone. You should now be able to click on any of the numbers on the Staff and Department telephone number pages to make a call directly from the page itself, rather than needing to remember/write down the number to call it separately. It works with IPhone, Blackberry and Windows Mobile Professional. However, it does not work with Windows Mobile Business. That is the confounding issue with mobile devices.
- The low-graphics link has been taken down.
- Feedback for keeping old Library Web pages on the Institutional Repository? We will mention it at the next AGRSSR meeting.
- Logan has two Grover tickets regarding wiki pages. We do not have a wiki server. It's doable, but he needs direction. We can do a wiki server here and make it secure, but it would have to go to the Web team for CSS work and design. It would be a mid-sized project for Logan. Matthew can bring it up to the Web group. Share Point is an alternative. Training is required, but it is more user-friendly. Logan will explore the issues. He will check with Rachel, Judy and AGRSSR to see what they have to say.
Students and Department
- FTP at CNS - see how the install goes.
- Streaming video - Laurie is still getting info on host costs.
- Load balancing - this can be removed - the new servers are working - no longer an issue.
- Faculty self-submittal form - completed.
IT Security Management
- Caitlyn is working additional hours on a project: identifying the floppy disks located in the cabinets in the server room. She is assembling a list so it can be determined if the items should be retained or disposed.
- Meeting held.