Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
November 2, 2009
November 2, 2009
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Matthew Daley, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams
Guest: Rachel SchipperAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 10/26/09
- Carpet in East conference room is being shampooed; thus, we are meeting in the Systems conference room today.
- Judy Russell to attend the IT Dept staff meeting on November 23.
- Campus emergency message system - should have received three test messages. If you did not receive three, then send them a note. The same group is doing campus electronic voting - Bill is on the commission.
Ongoing IT Updates
- HW #1 - the old Xerox server has not been picked up yet. The old card readers are not Xerox. Bill says they are ours and date back to the Paleolithic era. We can round them up and send them to Surplus Property, or keep them if we can find a use for them. We will survey.
- SW #3 - Should be: Washington University in St. Louis.
- FCLA stuff in queue.
- VIVO orders - awaiting approval by Conlon. The list was sent to him on Friday. Grace in Fiscal Services will work with the grant guy. Val has already discussed this with her.
- Public printing/copying - Pharos' latest fix should be released sometime tomorrow. It should fix the delays and duplexing issue. USB scanning problem - status of that fix is unknown.
- Video conferencing - Evan's parts list and preliminary numbers given to GovConnection. No estimation on installation.
- CM folks - micro and mainframe media - Peter McKay said if usage is low, there's no reason to keep any of it. There is no place at all for machine stuff at the new Eastside IT location. It's conceivable that we may convert the media, or - dump it.
- Virtualization of IT Dept servers - Barbara (CNS) spoke to Tim (CNS). His analysis was that the idea of a virtualization as big as ours is scary. Costs will run high.
- Grover patron queue is live and in use.
- Chris is working on the Grover Purchasing and Facilities queues.
- VIVO - domain name issue resolved: vivo.ufl.edu secured. Stephen is working on XML parser. Point to the new server, then point Gator Scholar to it. Big meeting tomorrow. Wednesday next week, Stephen and Val are flying to Indiana.
- Macros - one left, about two weeks until completion.
- ARL HR Project - Bill to meet with Bonnie on Friday. Changes are mostly cosmetic.
- JABR - Chris waiting to hear from Denise.
- Winston - interviews - had a couple of good candidates.
- Two new DNS mappings for DLOC - Web 1 & Web 2 - split required.
- No updates.
DLC General Issues
- JWRU survey banner added to the Library Web page. They love it.
- Staff Directory has been smart phone-enabled.
- Matthew attended a conference all day on Friday on IPhone.
Students and Department
- Status quo.
IT Security Management
- Laurie Brennan requests that staff be reminded to update their info on MyUFL - campus-wide directory.
- Meeting held.