Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
October 26, 2009
October 26, 2009
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Bill Covey, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams
Guest: Rachel SchipperAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 10/19/09
- Matthew's soccer team won Gainesville's regional championship.
- Will's two daughters are celebrating their 16th birthdays today and can both drive standard shift!
- It's no longer all that cold.
- Logan is getting married on Saturday and will be out all next week.
Ongoing IT Updates
- HW #1 - Evan reported that a Canon lock fell off - Bobbie went around with the service techs, but they couldn't find the machine with a missing lock. Evan says it was popped back on and is now holding.
- Will is working on the FCLA orders.
- Waiting for quotes on VIVO hardware.
- Server items for MSL - new discussions regarding the cost of virtualizing all of our servers at CNS. It will hinge on whether they can cut us a deal on the cost.
- VIVO software order - Debra has not seen it yet. Stephen says the quotes have to be approved by Conlon before proceeding.
- Public printing/copying - Canon to release the fix the first week of November. Xerox is going to pick up their remnants in MSL. Will notes the old Xerox server is in our server room. They picked up the new server, but not the old. We will have them retrieve it.
- Local DHCP in East - Bobbie gave Logan the list of IPs. Logan spoke with Jason about the Circ-access machines. We can move all circ machines to the 10. range. Will there be exceptions for static IP machines like Bloomberg? Campus wants everything off static IP. We will look at the machines with static IPs. Question about remote access - can't use IP, have to use the name. What about Ariel - the main box and document delivery have to remain static. There are many issues to be worked out.
- Video conferencing - Evan met with the campus integrator. Also met with Will, Judy and Rachel. We want it to be completed by January 1st. The campus integrator cannot meet that deadline. AVI-SPL is able to get it done by that date. They will send out up to 10 installation people. The ball will be in their court after today.
- Backup schedule documentation delivered to Laurie Taylor. Done.
- Windows 7 - trouble upgrading from VISTA. Not recommended. Also, don't use the beta version off the UF site (CISCO).
- Judy has given the approval to go ahead with the Patron queue in Grover. It will roll out tomorrow morning. In addition, we will immediately proceed with the Purchasing and Facilities queues.
- JABBR - close to finished, but put on the side for now while Chris focuses on Grover mods.
- Third level domain name for VIVO: vivo.ufl.edu is in process. Awaiting final approval. The group of folks working on this project will be traveling to installation sites in November - Washington University in St. Louis. Gearing up for the ingest tool. Will be collaborating and attending training sessions.
- Macros - proceeding nicely. Almost have it down to one remaining, but Gerald's keeps needing work.
- Room reservation app - on hold, pending Chris' demo. No response yet.
- ARL-HR Project data collection - HR is looking at data and various ramifications.
- Backup issues resolved. Minor issue fixed on SAN.
- Will investigate the server relocation/virtualization option.
- No problems reported with new client.
- Changing the reporting system.
DLC General Issues
- Survey monkey.
- Broken links project - AFA & West are done. Education is about 90% complete. Documents has 1,121 broken links. Matthew will be working with Paul McDonough on that issue.
- Outdated info project - need people to identify the validity of material. Rachel suggestions that might be a good topic to approach to Library Council. Lots of material could move to IR. Mark notes that most of the material in IR is harvested from other parts of the Library. We will be hiring a scholarly communications person in July - they may have some input.
Students and Department
- CNS - will talk to them this week regarding FTP.
- JPG2K duplication - talk to CNS this week about virtualizing a dedicated box.
- Streaming video - Logan made his last recommendations. Laurie is looking into external posting. Rachel passed on Logan's recommendation to Judy. Local hosting may not be the option.
- Load balancing - on hold pending evaluation.
- Faculty self-submittal form - Mark is working on it.
- Shibboleth - adding contact request.
IT Security Management
- Department relocation - most likely in the spring. June, perhaps. Will compiled a preliminary list: server relocation (CNS), equipment for survey, two separate locations for supplies and tape vault. Collection Management will need to review the items in the Tape Library. The list was sent to John Ingram. Rachel notes that John will be out until Nov. 4, so we will want to redirect that list. Try Shelley Arlen. There will be an issue of transportation; options are being worked out. Hardware staff stays, software staff goes. Other options are on the table. Right now, it looks like MSL 206 and West for Hardware folks. That could change, of course.
- Meeting held.