Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
October 12, 2009

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Bill Covey, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Stephen Williams

Guest: Rachel Schipper
Announcements
  1. Winston will be out of the office (at class) all week.
  2. Will Chaney won a $59 car at a dealership sale last week. 1996 Ford Explorer. Coincidentally, Tom Minton, Paul McDonough and Matthew Daley all purchased cars this weekend.
  3. Rachel notes that potential space for the IT department has been located on the eastside campus. It is quite possible we could be relocating within the next year. She would like for us to get with Rob Roberts and figure out our potential space in that location. Construction of the building is just now starting. We need to figure out how much space/what kind of space we'll need.
Review Minutes of 12/5/09
  1. Software #6 - remove second sentence.
Ongoing IT Updates

Orders
  1. Storage RAID for NT19 should be here today.
Hardware
  1. Public printing - the patch was approved by Canon. Pharos pushed it, but it did not work. Duplex and copy/scan are not fixed. Pharos should fix the scanning to USB as well. Now they have a fix for the fix, but need Canon's approval. Rudy Jacobs is the new Canon account manager. Canon brass are aware that things are not going as well as could be.
  2. Local DHCP - ongoing. Hope to roll it out in East this week.
  3. Laptop encryption - four are ready to go. Will is tinkering with the one that has us locked out.
  4. Michael Jay notes that Chris Poehlmann has a laptop that he takes home. He should be plugging it into the network to get updates. Check it out & if it's a problem, create a ticket.
  5. Video conferencing - meeting rescheduled between Joe and Evan.
  6. Backup documentation - need to combine the Tivoli and Backup Exec docs. Also, need to include Replistor.
  7. Vista is disappearing from retail shelves. Windows 7 should be out in the next few weeks.
Software
  1. Grover mods - no updates.
  2. Gator Scholar - domain name issue - paperwork not submitted yet. Need statistics. Will send off next week. Stephen started the faculty sign-on (Shibboleth). He is installing ICS and Tomcat on the same machine. After that is done, he will be looking at the info that faculty can see.
  3. Macros: 3 left.
  4. Link Checker - basically, done. Just need the unit head to sign off on it.
  5. Room Reservation app - Judy requested it to reserve the group study rooms. It is open source, from BYU. Chris can demo it whenever Judy is ready. Rachel notes that Judy is out all this week.
  6. ARL-HR - finished. Survey gizmo under review by HR. Currently entering real data. Should try it live soon. May use the survey gizmo for another project in HR - data analysis.
  7. Jabber - pending outside forces, no response yet.
  8. Backups - under control. Everything ran successfully this weekend. Separating it into smaller jobs helped.
Web Projects
  1. Matthew updated the Music site. Need the final approval from Mame when she returns.
  2. Web form for bookplate has been submitted.
  3. Two Survey Monkeys completed.
  4. Peter McKay wanted the new Lib Answers site to show up in the main UF search. Matthew submitted it to Web Admin to get it added. He also modified the UF Libraries search page so that 'Fast Answers' (which is what they're calling it now) was listed as an option.
  5. Rachel/Judy asked if there was any sensitive data on our site that could be leaked. UF is worried about losing sensitive data. We need folks to self-police. HR collects a lot of sensitive info, but it is not stored. Bill feels that we are in great shape. Rachel needs a confirmation email that our sites are free of sensitive data. Please send it to Rachel and Judy. Bill feels Wallace should be the one to speak for HSCL. Michael Howell mentions the SciFinder database - the registration process contains info, but it is not downloaded. Michael will send the link to Bill for examination.
  6. Also, we are pushing for outdated material to be removed from the Web. Matthew will send out a reminder to folks. Matthew sent out a spider to crawl for dead links, but it was freeware and stopped at 1500. Dead links aren't the same as old information.
DLC General Issues
  1. All items listed on the agenda are in progress.
  2. Ran archive load this weekend - it went well. Took about 25 hours for the critical load to complete. Now we'd like to schedule it to load back to the server each day.
  3. ARC server - 1.6 TB - a lot to load at first.
  4. Faculty self-submittal form for IR - demoed to Laurie Taylor.
  5. Mark is working on Shibboleth.
  6. Internet Archive harvesting is next in the queue.
IT Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page