Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
October 5, 2009
October 5, 2009
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Bill Covey, Debra Fetzer, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams
Guest: Rachel SchipperAnnouncements
Ongoing IT Updates
- UF: Zombie Disaster Plan getting lots of media attention.
- MMM - extended discussion of Grover expansion (patron requests). It was generally decided to make it a Web-related, not Library-wide, pilot project. It is Judy's idea, but she does want legitimate feedback. Betsy drafted a response and Ann Lindell submitted an update. It will be forwarded to Judy. Will keep you appraised.
- OLE - UF committed to be a participant. It will be a replacement to ILS; Ex-Libris designed and controlled. FCLA will have a significant part. UF team is implementing and writing it. Indiana University is the leader, using KUALI (funded by Mellon). Since that structure is in place, our version may be named, KUALI OLE. It is not a hosted service. It is open source. It is estimated that it will take 1-2 years for the system migration, 2 years to write the system from scratch. U-Borrow might be an option. It will not be a typical Marc system. Kickoff will be in the December-January timeframe. Training session in November. Coding starts 6 months into it.
- We did find the ancient motherboard battery for Zelda.
- 349 Dell Optiplex order from early this summer - it is still open in Grover. The status shows 3 CPUs and 7 monitors not checked in yet. The count needs to be checked and the numbers verified by the team that checked in the computers.
- FCLA wish list - departments will submit requests via Grover.
- Public printing - Canon has been silent. Problem is still the compatibility with the Pharos/Canon hardware and software. Locks falling off remain an issue. For most problems, a soft reset over the network will clear the issue.
- Icon for value-add on public machines - no word back from Rich. Check with him again.
- Local DHCP - Logan and Bobbie are creating lists of required static IPs. We will start with East first as the test. ILL will also require static IPs.
- Laptop encryption - training session held last week - had some issues with the laptops. We are going through the process again and updating the documentation. Hope to finish up by the end of this week.
- UPL update on Sprint cell phones - no trouble, but the time display is weird.
- Video conferencing - Evan met with Joe about the mics in the ceiling for room 1A and 429 West. We'll be getting a quote for the installation. The plan is to eventually have one in each branch.
- Back-up schedule and documentation - Tivoli is done. Need to combine it with Will's documentation.
- Win 7 to be released in a few weeks.
DLC General Issues
- Grover patron mods - on hold.
- Gator Scholar - third level domain name of vivo.ufl.edu has been requested. Grant names aren't allowed, but they filled out the paperwork for an exception.
- Stephen Williams will no longer receive Grover tickets - all of his should now go to Chris Nicolich, until a new programmer is hired.
- Macros - four left.
- Link Checker - modification - breaking up the file by arbitrary numbers - not a successful run on the whole file, but okay on smaller chunks. Hope to be done soon. Capacity is an issue.
- Room reservation app - Chris and Stephen to install and demo to Judy. Logan will help to install it on the Linux box.
- Library Tool Bar - Winston is working to install for access to Library functionality. Right now it only works with Firefox, but they'd like it to work with IE and Safari as well.
- Jabber - delivered to Denise last week. Will forward to Selectors and HSC. Waiting for feedback.
- ARL HR - presented survey to Brian and Monica. They can use it. May be grant material.
- Network server backup - Cynthia split the job into three - looks like it will work.
IT Security Management
- UFDC Web1 - wasn't working on Friday. Configuration was not correct. Switched it back to the regular server. Will try again when Winston returns. Will demo to Laurie today.
- Load balancing - across UFDC servers - round robin through DNS. Get specs for VLAN to Bill.
- Meeting held.