Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
September 28, 2009
September 28, 2009
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Bill Covey, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Mark Sullivan, Stephen Williams
Guest: Judy Russell, Rachel SchipperAnnouncements
Ongoing IT Updates
- Paul accepted a new position in Documents. He will no longer be in the IT Dept.
- Service Awards: Will Chaney - 10 years, Trish Ruwell - 5 years.
- Facilities - we need applicators for the bottles of alcohol we received.
- There's a pending order for a battery for an old piece of equipment.
- Canon/Pharos printing issues - the Canon rep was out of reach last week, working at a nuclear facility. The issue is still the hardware upgrade after Pharos developed the software. The fix is still awaiting approval by Canon. We did change the card swipe so that only one option shows. We have not had feedback from HSCL on it. Scanning to disk will be even more complicated. This fix will not solve the scanning to disk issue. Locks for print drawers - no one ever showed up last week. If we can't reach Josh from Canon this week, we will contact someone else. Link for value-add on public machines - Evan is out. Gator One card service outage - will be on Saturday. Should we make signs? Check to make sure there is still an outage on Sunday morning. This outage is for a version upgrade.
- Zelda - ancient Zenith machine housed in DLC that reads old 5 ¼ & 3 ½ disks. She still works, but needs a motherboard battery.
- Local DHCP - as soon as he's finished with DLC documentation, probably Wednesday, Logan will start the configuration.
- Laptop configuration - finishing the documentation and then need to schedule another training session. Once this is in effect, there will be no more popping in to pick up the laptop. We need time to sit with folks and set their password. This does not include the Public Services laptops.
- Card readers on the Canon printers - all of the newly-purchased screws have been installed. Readers should all be secured.
- Win7 - to be released during the month of October. XP will be going out of full security support. We're looking at migration paths. Some XP vulnerabilities cannot be fixed. We will probably implement its use by the end of the year.
- SAN back-up ran out of tape at 1.7TB. User data is bigger than Dept data. Need a solution. May move User Data back-up to Tivoli or try backing it up during the week. Need to look at the other servers we back up and start strategizing.
- ILL/Bridge program - fixed within 24 hours. Meeting with Grace to go over issues.
- Patron Grover demoed to LC last week. Now it's up for discussion in MMM.
- Gator Scholar - grant awarded. Lots of applicants for the programmer position. Pool looks good. NIH site says the start date was Friday.
- Macros - Michael is making good progress. 3 of 10 - now 12 of 16, but he's gaining. Link Checker is languishing. He is also looking at Jason's macro and is in the process of moving his work area.
- Room reservation system - Brigham Young contact info received from Misty. Stephen is putting together a demo. Logan to create a machine to load it on.
- Jabber downloaded- Journal abbreviations - Chris is working on it.
- Mini-grants - in-house use of Library materials. Handheld scanner collects barcodes - interfaces with ALEPH. Will be time consuming.
- New service pack for ALEPH in test. It will move to production in the near future. V.19 will need to be updated manually.
DLC General Issues
- Three Survey Monkeys completed.
- Added items to the Funding site.
- Updated the Music Web site.
- Steve, Betsy and Jason - worked on the book plate presentation for them. Matthew passed around a sample of what it will look like.
IT Security Management
- SAN migration done.
- JPEG2K still on old hardware. Test box for Mark. Copying the config to a new server, then will load.
- Production - archiving for Tivoli to be turned on.
- Mark is out today.
- Meeting held.