Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
September 14, 2009

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Bill Covey, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams Guest: Rachel Schipper

Announcements
  1. When staff meetings fall on a holiday, they are not rescheduled.
  2. Public printing status - operational problems. We're trying to resolve them with Pharos/Canon.
  3. Bill will be out the rest of the week after today.
  4. Rob will be ordering cleaning supplies for keyboards (swine flu season). Pre-moistened alcohol swabs would be best.
Review Minutes of 8/31/09
  1. ILS #1 - ALEPH outage - FCLA had a nasty confluence of problems - large scale hardware failure. Upgrade in progress. Why only a partially functioning server in Tallahassee? If it was brought up to full production, everything would have been recorded there and more outage would have been required to do the transfer and restore to the Production Server when it revived.
Ongoing IT Updates
Hardware
  1. Locks fell off Canon printers in West, Education, MSL and Documents. We will discuss this with Josh.
  2. IT Department laptops - imaged. Now working on MSL and West check-out laptops.
  3. Working on the high-end image.
  4. Evan is working with Bill Hanssen on survey property. There was some controversy over equipment that had been already surveyed. It has been straightened out.
  5. MSL - 12 computers put out and Laurie informed Stephen to update CAT Tool.
  6. Evan asks: are we buying Palm Pilots? Generally, no. The notion is that it is more of a personal, versus a University-supplied item. It can be requested to see if the policy has changed.
  7. Laptop encryption - training did not go so well last week. Will is still working on the configuration and will continue testing. We will have another training session before going live.
  8. Backup documentation for Tivoli - the archive part might be difficult. Logan to review it with Will today.
  9. Security for card readers - screw bits still need to be ordered. Bobbie is trying to find the correct size.
Software Projects Status
  1. OCLC Connexion - added to image? It's a permission issue: Lib-Acq-CatTools group. Discussion ensues.
  2. Grover demo (public request queue) with Judy scheduled for tomorrow. Patron problem reporting only. Web problems will still be logged in regular Grover. Endeca problem reporting could be sent via the public request queue.
  3. ARL Stats - Tom is finishing up functionality, and then beginning security.
  4. Gator Scholar - position up for hire, pending grant award. Should become official sometime next month. Position is a two-year soft money position, but could develop into something long-term. Unclear if the IT position will be located our department. The production server is ready. Once the announcement of the award is made, there will be 30 days until the start of the grant.
  5. Room Reservation application - Winston to talk to Judy about it this week - involves open source. Jason has been working on a similar project with ALEPH services. Jason will forward info to Winston.
  6. Patron Updates - change at FCLA dropped all who had recently gotten cards. Took days to figure out and fix.
  7. Chris is loading Jabber software on the server for a huge Marc file produced by Jason. It will help people find journals by abbreviation.
  8. Following two lock-ups of the Web server (unknown causes), we've moved PAULA & Grover off of the Web server and over to the Lib-2K8-App server, which will eventually be the home server for all applications.
ILS
  1. ALEPH is back up to speed. Table configuration changes slipped out. More or less recovered.
Web Projects
  1. All pages have been updated to reflect new print policies, except: LibGuides. Matthew has email the responsible parties.
  2. Developed a Web form for Sam: Pay for Performance.
  3. Lots of notices on the home page.
DLC
  1. SAN migration complete.
  2. Faculty Submittal form - finishing up this week.
  3. Working on Shibboleth.
  4. Looking to move Web App.
  5. All over production - functioning for failover.
IT Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page