Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
August 17, 2009
August 17, 2009
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Logan Clapp, Bill Covey, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 08/10/09
- Chris' wife had her baby! A boy! No name as of yet.
- Bobbie is out with the Canon delivery. Orientation sessions forthcoming. All techs should attend. Xerox will be out on September 4.
- IT moving? No plan at the moment. Ed Poppell has some space for rent on the east side that is under consideration. UF would like everyone to move to virtual servers, but they have no facility to accommodate. Criser and Tigert have also been mentioned as possible space. All of this talk is extraordinarily speculative.
Ongoing IT Updates
- Web #2 - Contribute (not Survey Monkey) - better under AD.
Software Projects Status
- Workstation installations - 99% finished. Currently working on stragglers. There are 8 to be done in MSL, 12 for which there is no furniture and then the OPAC machines in West. We continue kill disking the old machines. Surveying the old stuff will be done at a count of 50 machines at a time. Rob and Bill from Facilities will Saran Wrap the load to be surveyed and take it to Property.
- 620 images are done. High-end machine images should be done soon.
- Question regarding the microform machines - there's a rumor they will be replaced. Not as far as Bill knows.
- Still working on laptop image. Encryption issue - going to password protect the hard drive.
- Local DHCP - WINS not showing in browse. For OCLC Connexion, just map the drive.
- Backups - scheduled daily and weekly. Documented servers and what's on them. We now have a map for recovery and a backup schedule.
- Any update on the printing icon for public machines? It won't be put on until we know how things will really work. Prefer to hold off until things are functional.
- Evan notes complaints from a number of people regarding their shortcuts going to ALEPH v.18 instead of ALEPH v.19. It is not necessary to uninstall v.18, simply need to delete the shortcut to it.
- Macro mods on hold. Critical ones have been done.
- Web Grover demo last week - Judy was unable to make it. It will not be released until Judy signs off on it.
- The first invoicing through Fiscal Services went well. There is one printing problem we are addressing.
- Computer Availability Tool for MSL - ongoing this week. West - probably not reporting correctly due to name changes.
- HSCL switches in the AD Directory to get email lists working correctly - had to change affiliation. Worked with Erich Schmidt.
- Directory administration for UF Directory - they are trying to get everyone trained. They are trying to identify who is responsible for making AD mods. Winston is dealing with them.
- Pushing forward with link checking - Jason created a macro for Jessica using third party software, Xenu.
- Lost item workflow starts today. Due date rest necessary. Overdue funds coming to us have to be tracked and we have to make sure items are replaced. Money will be refunded if the item is returned before re-ordering.
- ALEPH - tested a paid-for, internet-based service last week used to communicate with other schools, as there is no money within the state for travel or calls. It will take some getting used to for folks.
- West rolled out a pilot to email out hold messages. If the patron does not have an email address, they will receive physical notification.
- Our Web folk have been designing pages for the Content Management System. We've come up with one whereby you can move bits around and resize things, but it is still branded to UF standards. We sent this to Rachel this morning - no feedback as of yet. We are working to get one page that can be used across all branches. The Directors will have to decide on the designs and then send them to the committee.
- The branch chairs have been contacted regarding pages with old info about printing. No feedback yet.
- UFDC usability - done, waiting on Marilyn. Mark asks that Matthew give her a call, she's having trouble interpreting some of the data.
- Matthew had his Photoshop license expire last Thursday. At first, he thought it might have been due to updates that were pushed. He had his machine rebuilt. There are a lot of known problems with Adobe updater.
Students and Department
- SAN migration - all new VMs created, except in MSL. All primary ones will be up by tomorrow morning. Greenstone UFDC is running in East.
- Most of the SAN work is done. Waiting for data loads. Should be done by the end of the week. Existing, dedicated Greenstone boxes should be offline by next week.
- Will have to coordinate the backup schedule. Also need to talk to Allen Rout about Tivoli, as the structure is changing. Otherwise, we may need to pay to load the data.
- Faculty self-submittal form for IR - positive feedback. Open access.
IT Security Management
- Paul will continue to work this week and is returning in the fall.
- A former student, Jessica Lanier, has inquired about returning and may start in the fall.
- Meeting held.