Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
August 10, 2009

Present: Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Bill Covey, Matthew Daley, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams

Guest: Rachel Schipper
Announcements
  1. Matthew got his Master's degree in Library Science on Saturday.
  2. Rachel announced that the Libraries are looking for a better space for the IT Dept. She suggested doing a program plan for the fall semester.
  3. Campus IT Director's meeting - Chuck Frasier is leaving. Search for new CIO is imminent. He will stay some length of time, if need be. They may hire another interim. No major announcement about IT reorg. These meeting will probably be held monthly.
  4. Public printing - Canon agreement reached. Anticipated start date: August 24. Machines to be delivered prior to that date. LAC to be set up first. Virtual and SQL server ready to go. Laptops will have to be arranged after the printers. Will tell Xerox to be out on Aug. 24. Walk-up cards for non-affiliates will work for library services and Starbucks. GatorOne cards will work for library services and vending. Per Rachel, hardware techs are required to attend the Canon training.
Review Minutes of 08/03/09
  1. Software #5 - Ingest works, back-up doesn't work on the test server.
Ongoing IT Updates
Equipment Received/Installed/Repaired
  1. Orders - Will is ordering in Debra's absence.
Hardware
  1. Workstation installations - working on East 2nd floor, then we'll go back and pick up stragglers. We are kill disking old computers. Rob Roberts is working to get the old stuff for survey picked up.
  2. Laptop image should be ready by next week. Issue with XP resolved. Laptops will be reimaged each time they are checked out. There will be a hard drive password for the encryption. Extra steps need to be taken if the laptop is leaving the country. Users will be told to use their Gatorlink password when checking out a laptop.
  3. ILL slips - Stephen changed the template. Problem with Office 2007 - Stephen has a fix.
  4. Monitor blackout - new fix is also turning off hard drives.
  5. Local DHCP - maybe in a week.
  6. Windows 7 - MS possibly moving the release date back.
Software Projects Status
  1. Macros - Jason has all of the Aleph v.19 macros done. The change required some server changes.
  2. Web Grover - demo for Judy & Rachel tomorrow.
  3. Logan and Winston are working on VMware changes.
  4. Four Shibboleth requests: UFDC, Gator Scholar, Library Portal and Blog Server.
  5. Computer Availability Tool for MSL requires some updates.
  6. DLC-IFAS completed.
  7. ARL Stats - reassigned to Tom Bielicke.
  8. Gator Scholar - Stephen is working on an Identifier Factory.
ILS
  1. The upgrade to Aleph v.19 was a non-problematic.
  2. Jason to get with Rachel on enhancement voting.
Web Projects
  1. General upkeep - pages with previous print policies - not much response.
  2. Contribute - better under AD.
  3. Consistency across Web sites - identify templates for CMS.
  4. Chairs to meet this week - Rachel will ask about the printing policy.
  5. UFDC usability - Tom submitted the info to Marilyn and she is working on it.
DLC
  1. SAN - configuration is done. Need to create arrays and VMs. Winston requests checking permissions. Should be done by Friday. Transfer should take about two days.
  2. Faculty form - Mark will have it done by September 15.
  3. UFDC Builder - new version out.
Students and Department
  1. Students - dead zone for the moment.
IT Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page