Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
August 3, 2009
August 3, 2009
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Bill Covey, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams
Guest: Rachel SchipperAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 07/27/09
- The upgrade to ALEPH 19 is complete. The self-checkout machines will be down for one day.
Ongoing IT Updates
- Hardware #3 - icon situation clarified: a single icon won't work. Walk-up cardholders will need to be directed to a different page than the GatorOne cardholders. We don't know the schedule, date or lead time for this project. Bill is working on an announcement for staff. Evan asks about assigning a computer as a recharge station. Patrons are used to going to one place to recharge their cards, anyhow. Bill says there are subtleties on the way the money is used. It is a messy process - we can't have one icon that goes to the same place. We'll need to ask Public Services. Per Rachel, check with Ben Walker.
Software Projects Status
- Workstation installations - Cataloging & Metadata and Gifts & Exchange are done. Tomorrow we'll do the IT Dept and Preservation. Should be done by mid-week.
- ILL printing - issues with the slips. They have four printers close together - one is color, two are black & white. They print different sizes. The new machines with Office 2007 are having problems printing. Evan feels the problem is with the templates. They originally came from OCLC. Stephen suggests they reformat the template, but they want a printing change. Rachel advises speaking with Ben Walker.
- Monitor blackouts - local policy needs correcting. Amy returns tomorrow. Screen saver setting is overriding.
- Now that ALEPH 19 is live - what about removing ALEPH 18? Is there anything we can do short of touching every machine? Evan suggests pushing a script to remove it from the menu. Log-in script wasn't pushed, can't remove it. Why didn't we push ALEPH 19? We're not quite ready for a library-wide software push.
- Dual monitor requests - they have been coming in via form. Judy would like to put it on the Dean's agenda. We have plenty of monitors - we can cut the requests off now. Bill estimates that we have less than three dozen total.
- EPO upgraded to v. 4.5. Evan ensured the engine is on. It is now in the mid 2's to high 4's for compliancy. More machines are reporting.
- Local DHCP - no real movement yet. Logan has been working on DLC reconfiguration.
- Laptop encryption - waiting for the staff laptop image. Evan has been having trouble with it - it only accepts Dell's copy of XP. It blues screens with slipstream and server images. Right now, Evan is busy working on John Ingram's laptop. Logan suggests checking the BIOS settings. Will notes they came with encrypted hard drives. Evan will call Dell.
- Lots of macro requests have been rolling in - Jason is handling them.
- Grover mods - demoed the Webmaster version for Tom and Matthew. They've suggested a couple of changes. Still need to demo it for Judy.
- DLC-IFAS project - data has been extracted. FTP - 250G of data.
- ARL HR Project - ongoing.
- GatorScholar - ingest tools work on SQL. Backup doesn't work on test server. ARP for Shibboleth.
- ARL Stats - tell Steve Carrico that it's on hold for now.
- Lots of notices and calendar dates added for the upcoming semester.
- New Fiscal Services site is up. They were having some trouble with Contribute. Tom has it fixed.
- UFDC Usability - report should be done this week.
- Discussion of Office Communicator.
Students and Department
- WebLog storage - this has been taken care of now.
- DLOC logs - Mark would like them to be sent to him.
IT Security Management
- Summer semester ends this Friday. There is a two week intercession. Paul may work sporadically during the break.
- Paul will be returning in the fall. Brittany will not.
- Debra will need to recruit more students for the fall semester.
- Meeting held.