Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
July 6, 2009
July 6, 2009
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Logan Clapp, Bill Covey, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Evan Wack, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Ongoing IT Updates
- Paul got all A's in his first semester of grad school.
- Orders to resume soon.
- Directors have hinted at no more end-of-the-year buying sprees.
Software Projects Status
- We should be done with MSL as soon as possible.
- Journalism & AFA to be started on tomorrow.
- EPO is fine.
- One machine in MSL is scheduled to be replaced - it is a print daemon only. Should we replace it with a brand new one? A Dell 620 will be fine as a replacement.
- Sleepy monitor issue - has been reported as not functioning on new machines. Should be pushing constantly. Amy is working on it.
- New image - images are to be updated on a monthly basis. They should have all of the critical updates. Winston would like to add an Aleph setting to the staff image.
- Server migration to AD this weekend. SQL to go first, then Web. The physical move should take about three hours.
- Hardware change to the SAN scheduled for next Sunday.
- Local DHCP changes to be made following the other moves.
- Laptop encryption - laptop imaging is low priority at the moment.
- Link Checker - waiting on Chris Poehlmann, who is backed up with other work at the moment. We found some apps that may work. The ALEPH product is complex.
- We've had an increasing number of requests for macros - Michael has 3 of 5 done. The new version of ALEPH will increase macro requests as well.
- ILL-Bridges - ready to go. Will test after the server switch. We told them it would be ready after the end of the fiscal year and then we could transfer the database. They had no access to Billing Manager. She wanted to mark everything paid before moving it over. Stephen had to add Billing Manager for Grace and Jennifer.
- Grover mods - going well. Submission pages are done. There will be multiple queues. There is a lot of testing to be done.
- DLC reports - format approval received. Every Thursday a new week's report will be added.
- Aleph v.19 move slated for August 2.
- ALA meets this week, starting July 9.
- General discussion with Judy and Rachel about content management and assignment calendar. Logan will be moving the server soon and the assignment calendar should be ready in a week. Logan will put it in test.
Students and Department
- Weekend outage - last Friday, UFDC Linux 2 stopped serving pages correctly. We rebuilt the drive on the previous Wednesday, it worked okay on Thursday. Logan failed it over late Friday night. Saturday morning, everything was working, except the newspaper project. Logan is working on it.
- Greenstone - Winston needs to speak with Mark about how it flakes out and stops, then requires a reinstall. Bill thinks we should talk to Greenstone company support to ask about the issue and document the problem. Should Laurie have failover permissions? No, it should stay in IT.
IT Security Management
- Sylvia is not working for us this semester, but Paul and Brittany will be able to cover most of the hours.
- Meeting held.