Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
June 5, 2009

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Bill Covey, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Paul McDonough, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams
Announcements
  1. Lots of rain.
  2. Bobbie's husband, Carlton, is recovering from successful hip replacement surgery.
  3. Bill is moving the IT Dept meeting to Mondays at 10:30AM. This will go into effect in two weeks, Monday, June 15. Bill to check on reserving the East conference room.
  4. When on an extended outage (vacation, etc.), please be sure to reassign your open tickets.
  5. Any time we get asked to be on a grant, run it through Bill first. - even if it's just an inquiry. Send an email for documentation and date stamp.
Ongoing IT Updates
Equipment Received/Installed/Repaired
  1. 349 workstations on order. They will replace the oldest ones we have for both public and staff. They were ordered with monitors. Returned machines/monitors will be used as spares. We have a lot of requests for dual monitors.
  2. Inventory - more equipment has been purchased on grants recently. It needs to be tracked via Grover.
Hardware
  1. Evan has been working with the EPO server. Upgraded the reporting agent. 355 took, 66 did not. We'll see how it goes next week. Please add Bill to EPO email notify list.
  2. SUS - MSL staff - 99% functioning.
  3. High-end area in West - installed the latest version of 3D Max software.
  4. Staff image - 99.8% done. Need IT Dept approval. Added FTP telnet client.
  5. Logan is working on a batch file to auto populate Real Users into Aleph folder and the log off registry edit.
  6. PC distribution - Evan has contacted 90% of the affected areas. He has explained back-up procedures and discussed the method for setting up new machines. He has a meeting scheduled with Rob to discuss the delivery as well as surveying old items.
  7. Bill and Will met with Dell Systems Consultants to discuss Virtual Desktop.
Software Projects Status
  1. Link Checker - open ticket with FCLA. In-house solution? It didn't work for Jason. This is now waiting for him upon return from vacation.
  2. HR - college degree and language proficiency now in production.
  3. OCR Toolkit - automation in production.
  4. ILL Bridge - aggressive schedule - need to finish testing and have it working by July. Will present it to them next Thursday.
  5. ARL Stats - moving slowly. Data entry ongoing.
  6. Grover mods - quite a few have been requested. We are waiting for Judy's decision on the Webmaster module.
  7. Gator Scholar - lots going on - another analyst will be hired to work on the project for two years.
  8. DLC - Laurie got together automated statistics. Tom B. is working on Baldwin. She now wants weekly automated statistics.
  9. A professor in Computer Science wants all of the Baldwin files. We have to figure out how to pull it.
  10. UF data warehouse is changing the primary key on tables. It needs to be working for patron updates - by July 1st. This is now priority #1.
ALEPH
  1. Matthew has not heard any more about the switch to V.19.
  2. Angela was out all last week. There is still an issue with the mailing of campus delivery notices. It is working for Law. FCLA needs to reconfigure things on their end. The clock is ticking at a higher level. Lots of changes need to be made. Let Bill know if FCLA is stonewalling. They made a fix, and then broke the fix with the update. Be sure to keep a documentation trail.
Web Projects
  1. Tom has been out for the past two weeks.
  2. Matthew has been learning Drupal.
  3. Preservation survey online.
  4. Cross-Divisional meeting survey online.
  5. Usability study for UFDC - not grant-related. Membership: Tom, Marilyn, Missy, Dina & Margeaux. Protocol for IRB has been submitted.
  6. Kindle & Sony Readers - for Emerging Technologies to evaluate - purchased by Library Administration. As equipment, these need to be tracked. Tom will bring them to IT so we assigned WSIDs and enter them into Grover.
DLC
  1. New storage online next week. Server review before Mark returns.
  2. JPEG2K ready to test when Mark returns.
  3. DLC problem - process not working correctly. Logan talked to Winston - .Net framework error.
  4. Adobe software issues - working in Photoshop, permissions denied. Reinstallation is a temporary fix.
  5. UFDC - if you use it and are unable to access a document, please be sure to let them know so they can reload it.
  6. Allan got the PO link for the Tivoli bills. Need to know the total for this fiscal year. No response yet.
IT Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page