Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
May 22, 2009

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Bill Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Rachel Schipper, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack
Announcements
  1. President Machen to speak on the budget today.
Review Minutes of 5/15/09
  1. RIR #1 - NewEgg should be one word.
Ongoing IT Updates
Equipment Received/Installed/Repaired
  1. We've submitted a large scale plan for purchasing equipment. We'd like to get 300 boxes - to cover the oldest of the staff and public workstations. With that, everyone should be up to 620's. It would allow for a large number of spare parts. There will be more discussion on Tuesday, after Machen makes his budget speech.
Hardware
  1. Driver update - there's one flavor of Dell that is giving us a problem (270). We're working on it.
  2. Shared calendar issues with Grants - those with Outlook 2K3 could not share. We upgraded them to 2K7 and tested it. Only those with 2K7 can see the calendar. Bill suggests that Administration approve the mass upgrade to 2K7. Rachel will speak to Judy about enforcing an upgrade. She anticipates that people may want training. That is usually handled by HR.
Current Projects
  1. Windows 7 - Microsoft is giving up on Vista, Windows 7 will be the replacement. Vista is not installed in the Libraries en masse. Several of the IT staff have tried Windows 7 and they really like it. McAfee 8.7 is required. Has anyone installed it as an upgrade? Microsoft says to install it from bare bones. That would take a long time to do for the Libraries. Everyone would have to be well backed-up. Evan says there are user-friendly tools for upgrading. Need to find them for upgrading from XP to Windows 7.
  2. Local DHCP - tested in Music on Wednesday. There are still bugs and security issues. It can assign machine ID and put it in DHCP assignment table.
  3. EPO - under control? Logan is still testing. We may have to set up a test EPO service, so that we are not testing live.
  4. Encryption - waiting on laptop upgrade and Windows 7.
Hardware Support Unit
  1. We've been flooded with tickets to move hardware in MSL.
  2. MSL cleaning scheduled for Tuesday.
  3. SUS - 50% working great. .Net framework is hanging up stuff. Found .Net cleaner - machine updates for 3.5 take forever.
  4. SAN - file corruption detected sometime after Tuesday. All problems seem to be under the AcqTools folder. Winston asked that Cynthia hold the backup tapes for the last two weeks. Option to move to Tivoli under discussion, although we have yet to receive the Tivoli billing for this year. Need to lean on Allen to get us the invoice.
  5. SAN image - came back corrupted. Looks like the controller. Logan will look at it today. Looks like Tuesday's issues could be related to ESX issues - FS1 runs on it. Connectivity issues would not overwrite. Bill is concerned about the corruption. We need to find it now. We need to run diagnostics on the SAN. No general staff announcement will be made. This is now Priority #1.
Software Projects Status
  1. Link Checker - Michael Jay is out. They are looking at other tools. Working with FCLA.
  2. HR - degree and language added - demoed to Brian and Bonnie. They were very pleased.
  3. OCR Toolkit - Tom tested - he is trying to get Prime software to run from scheduler.
  4. ILL Bridge - Stephen took the plan to Grace and Brian. They've approved. Now we're working to get it in place.
  5. Grover mods - speed improvement put in place this week. Next plan is to pull Hardware to get all related pieces to show in a search. The Hardware Unit was discussing the benefit of a drop-down to link a hardware ID with a person. Chris and Stephen are working on it. Evan notes that phone numbers in Grover are often incorrect. It pulls from the UF Directory - it is up to each staff member to keep their records accurate. Let Bill know when you come across information that is not updated.
  6. ARL HR Project - pending outside forces. They will just use Survey Monkey.
  7. Request from Stacey Ewing - Online Room Reservation - tools that present a calendar. Winston looked at the links, but most kept their own database of usernames and passwords - that won't work for us. Bill notes that Mike Conlon is building something like this - Winston to talk to him.
Web Projects
  1. Busy week for Matthew - he's covering for Tom and Jason (both on vacation).
  2. Matthew has been working on Drupal for the Emerging Technologies page.
ALEPH
  1. Recall notices not printing. Recall notices are tied into the Campus Delivery Program. FCLA people who can help have been out. Transfer slips generate and will print, but it doesn't provide email notification.
DLC
  1. Endeca load - awaiting confirmation from the state that records have been loaded. Back load of newspapers.
  2. Greenstone virtual machine is basically configured.
  3. Wilson - Copibook vendor - Evan has been in communication with them concerning a bad Copibook. It scans, but won't send to the computer. He has been troubleshooting. It hasn't functioned correctly since the power supply was replaced. It is not under warranty, but. Per Randall, they have a $1700 credit with the company.
Students and Department
  1. Potential new student: Paul Tang. Should start next week, if all of his paperwork goes through.
IT Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page