Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
April 24, 2009

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Bill Covey, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Stephen Williams
Announcements
  1. Longevity Awards presented: Cynthia (10 years), Laurie, Mark and Chris (5 years).
  2. Library Council update - meeting lasted the full two hours. Development report - lots of events, busy on the road. $40,000 was raised last month.
    HR - deadlines, evaluations.
    Facilities - projects. MSL should be finished this summer - ref and circ desk are being consolidated. They are no longer using VOIP wireless phones - wifi too saturated - will add more access points.
    IT - SAN expansion, etc. Photocopy copy contract - may have a Canon-based resolution today. It will cut the price for the public. It will require staff to replace cartridge-based toner and paper.
    Budget report - we may have left over OPS funds.
    HSCL merger - no news. Official on July 1st.
    New building off Waldo Road - some units will eventually move out there. They want to repurpose East for Special Area studies. DLC and Tech Services folks may move. IT & Preservation are unlikely candidates to move due to equipment constraints. Move won't be for a year, at least.
    Open Access Policy - intellectual property to be more affordable. OCA - Open Content Alliance - taskforce forming within the Libraries.
    Extended hours - very busy, lots of trash.
    Special project - Docs at ALF cataloged.
    For further info, Library Council minutes are available online.
Ongoing IT Updates
Equipment Received/Installed/Repaired
  1. 25 laptop batteries received.
  2. SAN order - all components received.
  3. We will be changing the ordering process in Grover - adding a step that sends it to Admin for approval. (In addition we may consider different Grover-type apps for both Facilities and the Web master)
Support Issues
  1. Evan is out sick.
  2. We are working on the universal image.
  3. Missing email - UF Exchange admin restored the mailbox. Had to restore the entire campus mail. Need to re-inform people of retention and folder creation policy.
Hardware
  1. Issues - Laptop encryption - we may use the True Crypt application that Logan found. Will is going to review the campus requirements. It may require a rebuild each time.
  2. Current Projects - Local DHCP - asked CNS to add Music to DHCP. We'll roll it out to the branches next. West will take some consideration. Bill comments to be real careful to make sure we know which machines need to stay static. Send a list to Logan.
  3. SCCM - trying to do the server install - it has a problem talking with the SQL server. We're waiting for UFAD to do something that we do not have the permission to do. We need a service account to talk to the remote SQL server. Per Bill, we need to discuss this further.
  4. EPO - is getting closer - it can now write to a public machine and push the agent permissions and groups on public machines. The problem is trying to get the agent on the machine to come back on a port that isn't open. Right now, no public machines are updating with McAfee. They are just wiped by Steady State. We need to get them updating to something now. Should be able to do it during the update window (3-5AM). Get it done now.
Software Projects Status
  1. HR Request - Bonnie Smith approved the user input pages. Stephen is doing a mock-up, she'll sign off on it and then it will be complete.
  2. OCR Toolkit - building test tools.
  3. Grover - the UFIRT change has been backed out. It was pulling the focus out of the typing window. The UFIRT timer should be on the homepage only. We will discuss it later. The other mods are waiting until we solve the slowness problem.
  4. Gator Scholar - waiting on input from the Gator Scholar Team (Val & Sara). There's an issue with the look of the template.
  5. Affiliation modification proposal - Jim Stevens asked that four patrons have this affiliation. Winston created, tested and set the expiration date for them. Jim was happy with it. It's workable now.
  6. ARL-HR project - will probably just use Survey Monkey.
  7. Shibboleth is working on the SQL test machine. The first app will be Carrel Reservation.
ALEPH
  1. ALEPH 19 test client to be released next week.
  2. Notification of ALEPH password expiration needs to be sent.
Web Projects
  1. Preservation move survey in progress, not out yet.
  2. Working on new Word Press theme for Barbara's new site. Categories need cleaning out. Tom thinks Word Press will work for her because it is flexible.
  3. Tom has completely relocated to 419 East. Matthew will probably move-in next week, when he is back to full-time.
  4. The new Emerging Technologies post office box number is 1170014.
  5. Tom's laptop needs to be updated. It needs to stay on IE6 for testing purposes. He will bring it down to the IT Dept for one of the IT techs to update.
  6. Matthew - changes to the Visitor's Page - it appears to be more of a Library West visitor's page than for all of Smathers. Per Bill, for Public Services information, make sure AGSSR is informed.
DLC
  1. UFDC - new version. Removed old errors from log files. Looking at all packages and correcting errors. It will run a long time today. Weekly to run on Sunday.
  2. Disk array moved over to MSL. Should be able to take down NT19 next week.
  3. Registered alias for Greenstone boxes for Endeca images.
  4. UFDC Linux - manual step - have to ask CNS to failover the pointer. DNS should have the failover feature.
Students and Department
  1. Trying to hire new work study students for the summer semester. Ads placed online.
IT Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page