Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
April 17, 2009
April 17, 2009
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Bill Covey, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Ongoing IT Updates
- Please set phones to vibrate during meetings.
- Tom Minton has moved up to room 419 East. Matthew, not yet.
- 25 laptop batteries for West have been ordered.
- Kakadu software download received.
- Periodic freeze of mouse control of cursor in Outlook - happens in O2K7. Winston suggests checking the mouse. Perhaps the mouse driver? Will keep an eye on it.
- Missing email - staff member had email from February missing from Inbox. We requested a mailbox restore from Exchange. Requires Judy's approval. It's a lot of work and an expensive process.
- Laptop encryption - working on it. Users that are non-administrators can't save. The solution right now is to temporarily take off encryption. If we can't resolve this issue, we may need to buy new laptops.
- SCCM - finished cleaning the clients off all staff machines.
- Logan configured the DHCP server - it works in East. Will test in Music. We will roll out to all branches after testing. CNS wants addresses back. Be sure to keep a backup of the logs.
- EPO server - 4th level patch installed on Wednesday. It's working better since the patch. Public machines are not being seen. The patch briefly broke Grover email function yesterday. It was cutting off port 25. Will changed the default not to block that port.
Software Projects Status
- SUS done. West public and East staff are now showing.
- Stacey Ewing announced that extended hours start on Saturday. Xerox to fill machines with paper and toner at 8PM. Discussion on what constitutes an emergency.
- SciFinder database to be installed in MSL on Monday and Tuesday.
- 3DMax to be installed in West on Wednesday.
- New universal staff image for every flavor machine. Bill says this is the last gasp for imaging. If this fails, we will stop imaging and do mass builds from disk.
- HR laptops - finished.
- Degree Info - HR - meeting with Bonnie at 2PM today. CIP interface proposal.
- Patron Updates - barcode updates sent successfully.
- OCR Toolkit - Tom has the program done. Lots of testing required.
- Grover mods - multi-session fix and browser rendering. IR Alert mod ready to roll - should be released Monday AM. Need service account created to run Outlook 24/7.
- Gator Scholar - UFIDs are in - template to display CSS. We borrowed it from VIVO, but it's not robust enough to configure for our needs.
- Patron Affiliation - the assigned affiliation does work. Have to give the expiration date. Need to get the policy from public service folks. Will talk to Amy.
- Bill is working with Brian Keith on an HR ARL project - data collection of job postings - monitoring them to gage efficiency. Bill has done a rough draft in survey monkey. Could be another project on the horizon.
- Two surveys put up: Cooperative Catalog Group and Preservation.
- West - Tom made some final changes to the new Web page they are building.
- Ask-A-Librarian - emphasized on the home page - they report a spike in usage as a result.
Students and Department
- Log monitor modes done. Builds loading item. Log files cleaned out. Errors were slipping through and the records were too difficult to go through. Testing of logs - on the back burner.
- USB - firewall done, SCSI drive should be ready on Monday.
IT Security Management
- Spring semester is coming to an end. Caitlyn's last day is Tuesday, April 21. Shamika - Monday, April 27. Jessica - Wednesday, April 29. We not have students for about two weeks. Please answer the phone when necessary and, per Bill, brush up on the use of the InformaCast feature.
- An ad has been placed for Work Study students for the summer semester.
- Notification of student account expiration was distributed.
- Jason notes Aleph accounts will also be expiring at the end of the semester. He will send out an email to that effect.
- Meeting held.