Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
March 13, 2009

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Michael Jay, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams
Announcements
  1. Stephen is taking the GRE this weekend.
  2. It's the second anniversary of the World Wide Web.
  3. March 27 - Dean Russell to attend the IT Dept meeting.
  4. Bill Covey is attending our meeting today. Director update: John and Judy have been on the road a lot. Xerox contract in trouble due to budget. Exchange Advisory Committee - Mike Conlon - charge back system for service units. They are figuring out the budget for service groups (such as the Libraries) and parceling it out. Ours should look the same as last year. Purchasing is being centralized - moving to the MyUFL portal. No more news on the big budget picture. The list of cuts has already changed. We have another Town Meeting coming up next week; then the budget goes to Machen, then back to Library Admin again.
Review Minutes of 3/6/09
  1. RIR #1 - take out "next week".
  2. SW #6 - UFDC, not DLOC. Also: add, "after the server was restarted" then, everything went down.
Ongoing IT Updates
Support Issues
  1. UFAD migration - there are still a few remaining workstations to migrate: Maps, Docs, Cataloging.
Training
  1. Cyber Self Defense class - March 23 at UFHR, 1:30-3:30PM.
Hardware
  1. Laptop Encryption - EFS on User Folders - all are done, except one (Laptop 14) - policy conflict. Discussion of VPN on all laptops.
  2. Admin rights issue - ARIEL machine & document delivery in ILL. Will require admin rights.
  3. Acrobat updates - should be out March 18. Reader v.9.1 is not secure until the patch comes out.
  4. Education & Journalism VLAN change happened last weekend (sort of). They only gave us 14 addresses for Education public and we requested 20. They should add more this weekend.
  5. SP2K3 - public ping issue. Amy has to fix it - need to get SMS migrated into AD.
  6. Auto play issue - need to test.
  7. EPO server - up & running. It's not picking up public machines at the moment. We'll work through it.
  8. Green Team request - Amy to implement their idea to have monitors go off after 10 minutes if they are not in use.
Hardware Support Unit
  1. Inventory - all finished, with the exception of East and MSL server rack (need key).
  2. Suzanne Brown - is reporting email problems - bounced mail, listservs dropping. Cynthia notes that others have reported problems with listservs as well. Evan to notify Will of the problem. Need to check her Gatorlink forwarding.
Software Projects Status
  1. Winston and Michael Jay met regarding ARL stats. Winston feels the Read Only side is done, but Michael feels that it is not. It is going well and should be done in three weeks.
  2. Michael Jay had a request from Christy Shorey in Preservation to create a macro. He will meet with her this next week.
  3. FilmLog - initial phase complete. Need to automate an old Gus Clifton OCR program. Bill notes the only association to film is in the name.
  4. ITS load - all training data is loaded, but the log-on is problematic.
  5. Root cert - not done yet - next couple of days, per Logan.
  6. NT4 - job migration is complete. Still have clean up to do. Backups need to run until clean up is complete. Might take a few more weeks.
  7. Shibboleth - waiting for SQL2K3, test server, Access privileges.
  8. ILL billing taskforce - new meeting - Fiscal Services not thrilled with the notion that HSC may be invited on ILLIAD. Billing would increase a lot.
  9. Ariel change moved to the break between spring and summer semester.
  10. Grover - new version implemented. It now pulls the email address from the UF Directory Business Address.
  11. Michael notes the trial version of Visual Studio 2K8 that he is using is about to expire. He needs to put in a Grover ticket for a new license.
  12. Mark - new version of Builder out. Having space issues.
ALEPH
  1. GUI changes? Macros may break. Need to adjust during the test phase.
  2. Single Bib - moving forward? Everyone is pretty much resigned to it happening. It will be a two year project, at least. A pilot project will be implemented first - at bigger universities. UF will probably be one of them.
Web Projects
  1. Dissertation - new page created. Streamlined by department. Flipped the searches.
  2. ILL is getting a lot of requests for material we own. We are reversing the search to try and cut down on requests to ILL for our material. The changes were requested by Lori Driscall and PRAM.
  3. UFDC tab requested by Admin.
  4. Patrons are expecting Google-like results. We are trying to make the Library portal as easy as Google.
  5. Lori Driscoll requested a link for Library privileges. Tom added a generic Service button.
  6. New Development site is up. Root changes to: /Giving. Donor search box added.
  7. Most comments on the new Web site are complimentary. HSC librarians love it.
DLC
  1. Arrays mapped by EOD - temporary storage for JPEG2K3.
  2. SAN reworking - pushed back.
Students and Department
  1. Students return from spring break next week.
  2. Students to start back cleaning reel tapes.
  3. Cartridge cleaning machine to be surveyed. Bob Lemmer notified so he can bid on it if he wants.
IT Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page