Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
March 6, 2009
March 6, 2009
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 02/27/09
- Bill Covey is set to return to the IT Dept on March 30.
- Dean Russell will be attending our staff meeting on March 27.
- IT calendar - as long as Will is the head of the department, you are not required to send him an email about vacation time - you can just put it on the calendar.
- Chris Nicolich is going to be a father! Baby is due in August.
- Amy's birthday is on Monday - cake on Friday!
Ongoing IT Updates
- Admin rights may be granted if required by certain software - will need to be reviewed. They will have to be in a separate OU. Tickets to be assigned to Amy, Logan, Jason or Winston.
- SW #15 - strike the first sentence.
- Orders - we may be replacing machines. Will is putting together a list. Extension of warranties may be included.
- Migration - Hank Young's machines still has two log-ons (two profiles). It just doesn't look right.
- ALF WSID 2198 - print workstation - not working.
- 2K3EDU - print server - can be removed. Also the failover in West.
- Non-migrated machines left? There's one in Docs.
- Standard for UF Exchange: ". lib" - will be the display name for mail-enabled groups. Will run it by Bill first before making the changes.
- Cyber Defense training upcoming: March 23. Register online through UF HR. Geared towards staff and end users.
- Disabling auto play - per Bill, we will need to test and review the results prior to implementation. He is okay with it as long as the instruction box pops up. We need to find the option and then set it through group policy. USB drives are the big issue.
- Adobe - Acrobat Reader malware virus - just hovering over a link can infect your machine. No known fix yet.
- SP3 - in the works. Group policy training showed there may be another approach. May edit the registry through group policy.
- SCCM to UFAD - pending purchase of SQL2K8 to install on AD. It doesn't work with SQL Express.
- EPO - working on it. It's better, not perfect. There's a lot of malware out there. Lots of machine rebuilding going on.
- Green team - has requested that we have all monitors powered off when they are not in use. Down time would be set at 10 minutes. Could be problematic if anyone plugs a USB drive into the monitor.
- Education/Journalism - adding two subnets. Need the IP ranges added to Grover. Need to convert as soon as possible. Xerox will be an issue - Bobbie will supply Amy with the IPs they can use.
Software Projects Status
- Inventory - public 3rd floor West ongoing. 68.2% complete.
- ARL stats - Michael is trying to wrap up the read only phase. It's about a third done. Security and staff input next.
- FilmLog - Tom is working on minor navigation changes and then it should be released. Laurie Taylor is happy with it.
- ITS - load should be done today/Monday. HSC should be able to register for our classes. Can't load their history until the integration is complete.
- Root Cert - next week, per Logan.
- NT4 - auto daily jobs have been moved. There's some file cleanup. App folders are there. Stephen suggests virtualizing what is left. This would require a server license. Will would rather fix the shortcuts to the new SQL2K8. A new server maybe the best place for SQL2K8. Winston to give Logan the necessary specs for the virtual Enterprise SQL.
- Shibboleth was installed over a week ago on the Web server. No problems. It grew, now it needs to be run all the time. The daemon went down around noon and we didn't see any problems until 2PM. Initially, UFDC went down - then, after the server was restarted, everything went down. No more changes will be made until we have a test server. Logan says we do have one the SAN - just ask him.
- Billing taskforce - meeting scheduled.
- UFDC Builder - new version with Lucene indexing forthcoming.
- HR - asked that we convert all user ids to GatorLink. Five apps use the old usernames to email things. We will start pulling from the UF Directory - so it will go to whatever Business email address they have listed online.
- ILL switch to NT18 - published Ariel station - can't run as a service. Could move it to a VM or a box in the server room to make it more secure. It's really only a database; it could migrate to the SQL server.
- Version 19 - upgrade to be tested in the next two months. Will test over the summer. July is the official month the upgrade is scheduled to occur. Unknown effect on staff.
- CSUL - single bib item record is going forward.
- PRAM committee (Public Relations and Marketing) - wants something done with the dissertation page. They are asking for the creation of a new Web page.
- Tom is getting requests for links on the homepage. He is resisting for the time being.
Students and Department
- Greenstone Java problem fixed.
- Tivoli backup worked. Will notes to bring Cynthia up to speed so she can be Logan's backup person on Tivoli.
- Server drives - not done yet. Hopefully, this afternoon.
- Streaming media - bandwidth saturation issue. Only way it will fly is if it is hosted on the CNS server.
- Big DLC data reorganization - rebuilding the SAN structure. We are going to split it into smaller pieces. DLC to failover to the MSL backup. Will suggests that Logan discusses this plan with Bill prior to implementation.
IT Security Management
- Spring Break is next week. No students - please answer the phones.
- Meeting held.