Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
February 6, 2009

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams
Announcements
  1. Michael Jay gives kudos to Jason Fleming for a good job with the FAQ page. Might want to add Barracuda/spam management.
  2. Feb. 13 meeting with the Dean is being rescheduled.
Ongoing IT Updates
Support Issues
  1. Orders are working. We are back to needing Admin approval.
  2. Xerox is up and running in all the Libraries? Yes.
  3. Migration issues still pending: Japanese language bar problems, public folders (Will is working on it), drive mapping issues, auto permissions, UFLIB address list staying as the default, 2K3 showing up as an address list. There is also the pending issue of the policy for expiring student accounts. Need to determine how to expire their accounts without having to re-permission. There are three or four workstations that still need to migrate to AD.
  4. ALEPH print daemons - Music is unable to print. It needs to be fixed on the EPO server.
  5. Intermittent problems with MSL print server having random printers. Logan updated DNS suffix sorting.
  6. After the migration, Hang lost permissions to his local folders. Could be due to previous liaison rights. Evan was able to remotely assist.
  7. Carol Harris was also unable to open folders on her C: drive.
  8. Logan could not access his desktop.
  9. Rita Smith is having trouble accessing her contacts folder.
  10. Calendars are not giving meeting reminders. Cleaning out the reminders works for most.
  11. Unable to access shared calendars - Logan reactivated all of them yesterday.
  12. Evan appreciates everyone's hard work and great effort on the migration.
Hardware
  1. Should we disable autoplay? Yes, because of virus propagation. If someone drops a CD in, it would play not immediately. They will have to go to the drive to start it. Will to get that policy approved.
  2. SP3 - not yet. Have to migrate the SMS server in order to be able to push it. Will start working on that and see what obstacles arise.
  3. EPO - Bobbie has been configuring. Logan will look at it in her absence.
  4. We are rolling out the firewalls today on the DLCSAN and file server.
Hardware Support Unit
  1. Steady State or inventory next? Will start with Steady State then do inventory.
  2. We should be absorbing excess machines back to the IT Dept.
  3. Remote access doesn't always work for Evan. He is looking for a fix.
ALEPH
  1. V.19 to be updated over the summer. First part of the upgrade to start in March.
Software Projects Status
  1. GatorScholar got a 4th level domain. The software has been implemented and it works.
  2. ARL stats ongoing.
  3. DLC Tracking database - Tom is wrapping it up. Next he will be getting familiar with FilmLog. The data in there is static. Laurie Taylor is starting an adopt-a-reel campaign for digitization display interface.
  4. UFDC - Mark finished the utilization reports. They will be put online.
  5. Working on loading UFDC records into the state catalog.
  6. Indexing for Greenstone switch to Lucene. It's not faster, but yields better search results.
  7. No additional info on the affiliation modification proposal.
  8. Stephen is creating a report for ILLIAD for Fiscal Services. ILLIAD billing manager information is listed in two different places - in two different programs. We're trying for solutions.
  9. Shibboleth ARP was approved. Need to get certificate from CNS.
  10. Stephen is working with Bonnie Smith on ITS - she has been putting lots into it - loading data from Central HR.
  11. We had a request from HR to integrate and display all HSC folks into ITS.
  12. Chris is migrating the patron update from NT18 to SQL.
  13. WebPaula is not working for the students. Chris is working on it.
  14. Need to get a security certificate for the Web server for all of our applications.
Web Projects
  1. New homepage - working on changes, converting lower level pages. The new page is to be revealed on Monday, February 16. The Alligator got wind of the change and has mentioned it in a story - with an angle that questions why it is being changed during the semester. A reporter asked to speak with Matthew. He checked to make sure it was okay with our Public Relations Officer, Barbara Hood. She said yes, so he did speak with a reporter.
  2. The pop-up book video made by Matthew will be used by Oxford University.
IT Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page