Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
January 16, 2009

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Stephen Williams
Announcements
  1. Brad fixed the IT Dept front door. It no longer sticks on the carpet.
  2. PPD came by to look at the IT vault door. They do not work on combination locks, only key locks. In order for it to be repaired, they would have to hire an outside company. We will put the request on hold for now until we get clearance from Administration to pay for an outside vendor.
  3. The Dean is scheduled to attend our staff meetings on the following dates: 2/6/09, 5/15/09, 8/7/09 and 11/6/09.
  4. UFAD open meeting at the Reitz Union - 2/6/09, in the afternoon.
Ongoing IT Updates
Equipment Received/Installed/Repaired
  1. Orders - nothing significant. Need to purchase the migration tool and a drive for Greenstone.
  2. Xerox problems - they are sending a technician out to look at the problem. Will rebooted their server. John was to reboot the print release stations in MSL, AFA, Music and Education. IT received vulnerability warnings from CNS. Will to contact Brent for an update on the status. A new print contract should be in place by March - or maybe by the end of the fiscal year.
Networking/Hardware
  1. AD migration - on hold until after ALA. The move could be the week of January 26, depending on the migration tool. Right now, it will migrate a CPU from one domain to another. It is not doing profiles or renaming the machine. The tool should work, there are just syntax problems. We will try to run the scripts at the end of the day on Tuesday, Jan. 27 and the change should go into effect on Wednesday, Jan. 28. What about permissions for new hires? Debra should continue to do that. She will need a UFAD Admin account. Winston will get with Dwight to have him create our Library address book. Jason will get the FAQ's up today and have a link posted on the Staff Web site.
  2. SAN migration. Should be finished today.
  3. SP3 - will address after AD migration.
  4. EPO server is up on AD.
  5. Room 1A computer - Trish and Bobbie are looking for a replacement.
Workstation Support Unit
  1. High-end machine imaging is done.
  2. OPAC imaging started.
  3. All of West is off Deep Freeze.
ALEPH
  1. Indexing is being updated.
Software Projects Status
  1. GatorScholar - waiting on the next move. They are setting up themes. They have entered a lot of data by hand, which will eventually be populated with a program. They want to keep GatorScholar in the 4th level domain.
  2. ARL stats - starting to move again.
  3. Tracking database - new version just released.
  4. UFDC - Mark has been working on statistics and test records in Endeca.
  5. Affiliation modification proposal - Bill was asking about it. No movement - waiting on Bridges.
  6. Stephen is investigating a Shibboleth application. He put in a proposal for the access control policy starting with CARS. If all in UFAD, then we could use NTFS authentication.
Web Projects
  1. The new homepage design did not go up last week. Group has until the end of the month to review it. Tabs are back in, but they are located elsewhere.
  2. Matthew is working on a new Web site for Library West. It is a big undertaking. They are the only Library without a Web site.
Students and Department
  1. New student, Jessica Lanier, starts Tuesday, Jan. 20 morning.
IT Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page