Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
January 9, 2009
January 9, 2009
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Evan Wack, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 12/19/09
- Gators are National champs.
- Amy notes that her stepdaughter is turning 13 on Monday. She's a good kid.
- ALA is January 20-24.
Ongoing IT Updates
- Ann # 1 - typo: 'here', not 'her'. Also, 'our' not 'are'.
- Laurie Taylor requested a report listing all DLC equipment/software purchases for the last fiscal year. Debra is working on it.
Workstation Support Unit
- AD migration - Logan is testing an NT tool to move user profiles. We will be testing it on Tuesday. We need to order licenses. We are currently planning to migrate on Tuesday, Jan. 20 after testing the NT tool. Profile tool - Admin console - import from script will eliminate the need for hands-on from the Workstation Support group. There will be an issue with laptops. Server move is Phase Four. Evan notes he is unable to remote in to a machine following the AD migration. We need to look at the policies on the AD side. The distribution lists have been migrated, but they are not enabled yet. Seven programs have been identified as needing to move to AD. Most are SQL. Amy will copy Smatherslib Domain Policies over to AD. Discussion of name change from mail.ufl.edu to library.ufl.edu. Shared mailboxes - the shared name will be different on AD. They must be created as a service account. Permissions should transfer.
- SAN migration - ongoing. DLC issues have been overriding this issue. SL2K3San not being recognized - Replistor - it continues to run over the DNS to accommodate. DLC File Server and Library File Server - alias for failover. Migration to AD should fix the problems.
- AD - printers - must be fully qualified names. May move print servers over.
- AD - map drive issue - U and Z drives - will set on user profile script.
- Service Pack 3 fix didn't work. Amy is now looking at how to make SMS a registry key to fix it.
- Tivoli - will be used for DLC only until we see the cost figures. We may possibly use it to replace Backup Exec.
- Cynthia has been crunching the Backup Exec numbers.
- Inventory has been rescheduled until after the UFAD migration.
- AFA has been put back together.
- We'll be moving the MSL computers back at 1:30PM today.
- High-end image is done. Amy is working on OPAC.
- MSL - Lenovo laptops - need new image.
- We'll be removing Deep Freeze and installing Steady State during inventory.
- Any news on warranty extensions? Will took the request for warranty extensions and machine replacement to the Directors. No word yet. Perhaps they are waiting on news regarding the budget.
Software Projects Status
- Re-indexing authority files. May require a shutdown.
- GatorScholar folks are trying to figure out the domain request. Stephen downloaded the themes that Cornell uses for GatorScholar.
- Tracking database - new test version for DLC. It will probably be out today.
- Greenstone - Mark is out.
- Per Bill Covey, we're implementing a new system for tracking dates and milestones.
- Chris has been identifying projects that will require changes for AD - Grover is the main one.
- We had software changes to ITS, per Bonnie Smith. Includes a new data download from UF HR.
- Logan rebuilt Greenstone Production. It is now running off the new production server. Greenstone Development was burned down and rebuilt. Samba production and development are now mirrored boxes. Failover should be seamless.
Students and Department
- The new Web page has been streamlined - no tabs; it is being kept simple. They did not want to offer a lot of options. The new version was approved by the Directors this morning. It will then go to AGGRSSR for approval. Once that occurs, it should go up this week.
IT Security Management
- Lorraine Wowo will not be working for us this spring.
- Caitlyn and Shamika are working again this semester.
- An ad has been placed for a new student assistant to work the morning shift.
- Meeting held.