Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
December 5, 2008
December 5, 2008
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Paul McDonough, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 11/21/08
- Ohio State is not going down.
Ongoing IT Updates
- Web #1 - Michele Crump spells her name with one 'l'.
- Orders - ongoing.
- We may be extending the warranties on workstations and servers. Bill thinks it is a good idea. Would be about $14,000 - and will need Director approval.
- Greenstone Development box to be rebuilt. Should take two days.
- SMS client install - still a few machines left.
- Steady State testing - Evan is happy with it. We'll wait for one more round of updates, see how it goes, and then drop Deep Freeze. It should give us better control. Could someone double check that Deep Freeze is off the console?
Workstation Support Unit
- Exchange failure - it is working for most folks. Will is deleting mailboxes and recreating them for folks with problems. We currently have an open case with Veritas to restore the data from Nov. 12 to the present. If we are able to restore the data, we could begin the migration to Exchange AD. We'd like to get off Exchange soon as it could fail again. Discussion of backup tapes. Everyone should be backing up their email, contacts and calendars every day until the Exchange situation is fixed.
- Tivoli backup - think we are going with it, but have to wait for the Directors. Bill has a list of items he is presenting to them.
- SAN migration - should be done next week.
- USB install issue - different solutions work for different computers. Evan sent out all of the known fixes to the Workstation Support Unit.
- XP SP3 fix - Amy - forgot about it. Will come in early next week to work on it.
- CJK - it is gone. It can't be in the West public area with a Special Collection database on it. David Hickey may request a new machine to put it on in Special Collections. You could use a BIOS password on it. We gave them options; it is now up to Special Collections.
- Risk mitigation plan - ready to be submitted. The deadline has been extended. We're ready.
- Bobbie and Evan have requested some search feature changes in Grover to assist with inventory. We hope to start on inventory next week.
- High-end image is just about done.
- Cable clean-up will be the next project.
- Power issue in MSL - waiting on Rob Roberts.
- Windows Defender - Evan to get the definitions into SMS. Right now, they are not synching correctly.
- Windows updates can be released.
- Xerox is on extended support during Extended Hours. They will replenish the copy card machines and check the money once an hour. Xerox will be on call.
- Evan had a request to remove the laptop and projector from room 212. They are using as a general study area during extended hours. Laptop, yes. Projector, no.
Software Projects Status
- ALEPH was updated Saturday night/early Sunday morning.
- Stephen and Winston met with the GatorScholar folks. We've put in a request with CNS to create a third level domain name: GatorScholar.ufl.edu.
- ARL Stats - ongoing.
- DLC Tracking database - new version is in test mode.
- Greenstone - wrapped up in machine down time.
- UFDC is up and running on the development box.
- Maps VS software - can be moved to pending outside forces.
- Winston worked on a little application that runs every night and pulls information for the labels that Barbara Hood prints. It hadn't been running for years, so the data was all old. Winston fixed it.
- Grover changes requested in Middle Manager's - they would like to be able to add IT folk to the Notify field. After discussion, it seems this can be done. Only the person to whom the ticket is assigned will work on the ticket. They also wanted to be able to view all of the tickets. Right now, Department Heads and Approvers can view all tickets for their department. We will leave it like that at this time.
Students and Department
- Tom is out this week. It has been difficult for Matthew to be Tom. There's a lot to do.
- Matthew got an email that a display in Endeca for musical items was wrong.
IT Security Management
- Last day of classes is Wed. Dec. 10.
- Finals week is Dec. 15-19. Our student workers will start dropping off that week.
- Meeting held.