Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
November 21, 2008

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams
Announcements
  1. Ohio State vs. Michigan: Ohio State is going down.
  2. Matthew's wife is having a baby boy.
Review Minutes of 11/07/08
  1. Software #2 - ARL stats are in coding (not fixed).
  2. Software # 5 - Maps VS software works well enough for the grant, but still has problems outside of our domain.
Ongoing IT Updates
Equipment Received/Installed/Repaired
  1. Support Issues - SMS Client install - some success, thanks to the workstation support team. There are still a few machines that are not accepting the client. Evan volunteered to manually install those, if necessary.
  2. Steady State testing - it has been loaded on all the general machines in West. It is not talking to Group Policy in SUS. Could run into problems during extended hours. We could manually set the updates to delay. We hope to have a solution before then.
  3. Restricting staff workstations - need to add the Xerox print release stations.
  4. Dell license order for MS Server Standard - have not received yet. Need to call.
Networking/Hardware
  1. Tivoli - no news.
  2. SAN migration - maybe over the holiday.
  3. NTFS permission changes - Winston is doing a great job. He made all the permission changes on NT4. Will implement on the SL2KSAN after migration - will do all others first. Then we'll test AD on the IT department.
  4. USB install override - works, but still requires AD intervention.
  5. SP3 - Amy pushing script. DeepFreeze doesn't have access to where the patch is stored. She will try to put the script in the startup script by the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
  6. CJK - the machine has been imaged with the standard public image and the all language pack has been added. Control of machine access needs to be decided. Language packs require two reboots. We may need to make it like the Bloomberg terminal. West public services folks will need to decide.
  7. Central Exchange/Campus AD - still tentatively scheduled for December 1st, although we can't get there with a damaged database.
  8. Disaster Prep - it's due at the end of the month. Amy is working on a migration plan. Awaiting additional information from PPD regarding the backup generator plan.
  9. Exchange outage - restoring from tape. Backup Exec - changes to server, added drive space. Backup restores are running now. Logan created a new template for Exchange Service.
  10. O2K7 push - must wait until Exchange problems are solved.
Workstation Support Unit
  1. West - general computers are done. Still need to do the OPAC and high-end machines. Extended hours start December 6-17.
  2. Lenovo laptop batteries - issued resolved. Check received.
  3. Hardware inventory - scheduled. Reports can be generated in Grover.
  4. Cable cleanup - scheduled.
  5. MSL power - Facilities will fix the power issue in Documents.
  6. Laurie notes that there are GX270 Small Form Factors in MSL with failing motherboards. Will says he has requested 100 new machines to replace ones out of warranty in the public areas. It is awaiting the Dean's approval.
  7. Matthew recalibrated the Self-Checkout machine to make it less sensitive.
Software Projects Status
  1. GatorScholar - the general requirements are complete. The team will meet after Thanksgiving to do more.
  2. Greenstone - machine is running - DLC started using it again yesterday.
  3. DLC Tools in UFDC - Marc and Mets translatable between them.
  4. Candidate assessment form problems - traced to timing out problems. No more incidents since the fix.
  5. Reports added to Grover.
  6. Moving Patron Update form from NT18 to SQL. A new version of SQL, 2K8, is coming out. Need to put in a Grover request for a new software purchase.
  7. Grant Tracking database - changes implemented.
Web Projects
  1. We're up to the 20th version of a new home page design. Michele's group reached a consensus. There's a lot of java script and interactivity. The idea will be to do the entire Web site that way.
Students and Department
  1. Students will start to drop off next week, as we edge closer to the Thanksgiving holiday.
IT Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page