Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
November 7, 2008
November 7, 2008
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Paul McDonough, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Patricia Ruwell, Evan Wack, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 10/31/08
- Winston is not afraid of Bobbie.
- Interviews for the Associate Dean for Technology and Support Services position have been scheduled: Brad Eden will interview on Nov. 17-18, and Rachel Shipper will interview on Nov. 20-21. Need to get the department looking nice.
- Email from the Dean - faculty salary increases approved.
- December leave cash out to be recorded during the next pay period.
Ongoing IT Updates
- Nets #1 - take out first sentence.
- Nets #6 - take out last sentence.
- ALEPH #2 - CSUL, not CECIL.
- SMS Client installed on most machines. Amy is working on the others.
- USB install issue - Evan found a fix with varied degrees of success. He is still working on it.
- The Orange print release station in West and the one in MSL have been down for a week - per Evan.
Workstation Support Unit
- Tivoli - DLC is still discussing how much space they need.
- Amy is testing the XPSP3 fix.
- Winston is working on AD - all staff accounts have been mapped to the right groups and groups are linked together. Still need: the resources in our domain to be modified to accept groups and users. Jason confirms that regular students cannot sign on to staff computers at the reference desk due to UFAD changes. Winston has asked for Grover tickets to be submitted to link student and temporary employees' smatherslib and GatorLink accounts.
- West re-imaging awaiting Steady State testing. We have a good DHCP image. Steady State seems to be working with the updates.
- Hardware inventory - will start in MSL. Grover reports needed.
- Lenovo laptop batteries - Evan is still waiting for the check.
- Cable cleanup - Evan will go around to departments. Trish noticed power problems with how machines are hooked up.
Software Projects Status
- Updated test region this week.
- New updates sent to production are probably not new - time change.
- Advisement - print daemon should not be left on all night.
- Gator Scholar - data file loaded. Cornell sent us the final file. Need to figure out how to load it.
- ARL stats in coding.
- DLC Tracking database - Mark worked on the importer yesterday. New release soon.
- Greenstone development server - does not start up easily. Winston is working on it.
- Maps VS software review - it works well enough for the grant, but still has problems outside of our domain.
Students and Department
- New emerging technologies group formed. They are working on new homepage design and templates. The next meeting is Nov. 19.
- Request for a new page for Friends of the Library - and a link to it on the homepage.
IT Security Management
- New students: Caitlyn and Lorraine.
- Meeting held.