Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
September 12, 2008

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Michael Jay, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams
Announcements
  1. Arrrgh! Today is National Talk Like a Pirate Day.
  2. Will saved part of a tree today: there's no meeting agenda. His computer gave the blue screen of death this morning.
Review Minutes of 9/12/08
  1. RIR #1 - IBM laptops -Cynthia found 12 batteries in the mailroom that had not shipped. 6 laptop batteries were also found in the West machine room. Will is going to ship 16 of them back to GovConnection. We may retain 2 that will work in staff IBM laptops.
Ongoing IT Updates
Support Issues
  1. We met with the Dean and Department Chairs regarding how to communicate with Amy about the public machines. It was a short meeting.
  2. SysLias group has been disabled. There was an issue with USB drives - they can no longer install them because they aren't Admin on local machines anymore.
  3. Public computer configuration changes - Amy is ready to schedule it. It will be done on an as-time-permits basis, but the sooner the better. Amy will coordinate the process with Evan. Amy gave Evan the fix for the log off button and screen saver. When we are doing public changes, we will also reset staff passwords.
Training
  1. Tivoli backup - Allan Rout came over. We have backups running on FS1, JPG2K. Today we'll do Greenstone Development. Three test boxes. Tuesday we'll look at the final configuration for storage for DLC. If it meets the cost estimate, we'll go with it. Everyone will need to be trained on Tivoli. We may go live by October 1st, so, perhaps training by mid-October. It should not be too difficult, it is mostly command-line.
Networking
  1. SAN migration- Logan to meet with Lori Driscoll and Shelley Arlen next week to determine how to split up Access Support/West. That information will be useful for Grover as well.
  2. Remote assistance - only works if the remote person can receive email or MS Messenger. Evan thinks it would be helpful to have a VISTA station available to staff use. VISTA has a VNC client to remote in. Might we upgrade to VISTA? We have many computers that are incapable of running it. Public machines are 2G, but not staff. Michael Jay has VISTA and likes it.
  3. Paul installed Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 on an Education computer and anytime someone other than admin logs on, it asks to register the software. The changes we will be making to the public computers may fix the problem.
  4. Cynthia had a question about language packs - Susan Lupi wants the Spanish pack to work in Excel. She says it's free. Logan will give Cynthia the .exe file.
  5. WSUS - Evan has access to WSUS to update machines. On public - AD server - WSUS. Public machine updates - we are testing on Education. We have to approve them in two different places. We also need to do this for the antivirus. Amy thinks that campus may be pushing antivirus updates. She will check on it.
Software Projects Status
  1. Grover - another new version has been released - extra info from the initial ticket entry provided in the email. Next round of changes will include the ability to cancel an order. Also, we'll be giving Bill Hanssen the ability to update PIDs.
Web Projects
  1. Matthew has been working on Flash on the Giving Site for Sam Huang and Barbara Hood.
IT Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page