Skip to Search

diagonal spacer

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
September 12, 2008

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams
  1. Matthew Daley's wife is expecting her second child.
Review Minutes of 09/05/08
  1. Software #1 - ARL stats, not ARIEL.
Ongoing IT Updates
Equipment Received/Installed/Repaired
  1. No news on the IBM laptop situation.
  2. Dell is shipping replacement batteries for the Education laptops.
Support Issues
  1. Amy turned off roaming profiles on the public computers.
  2. We will be disabling the Systems Liaisons group today.
  3. Tivoli - clients installed on three machines: SAN, DLC Storage, Greenstone Development. Need a few more days to configure. Will test the backup and restore next Monday. Hope to be backing up DLC storage by Wednesday. Hope to have all three done by the middle of next week. Greenstone can be removed from Backup Exec.
  4. Public computer modifications - will require manual installation. Amy will coordinate with the work station support group. Can be resolved with imaging. We will do it in the required areas as time permits.
  5. Jason and Amy started working on the documentation for unplugging machines for Disaster Prep.
  1. SAN migration - two departments left: Administration and Library West. After that, we'll move on to the Projects folder. When all is complete, NT2R will be no more.
  2. CJK - Logan spoke with David Hickey - he had no time this week, hopefully next.
  3. Central Exchange/Campus AD - we need to figure out what direction to take - hopefully we can start by the end of fall semester. We have a meeting on this next Tuesday.
  4. EPO - DLC is still off. It slows DLC down too much. Time outs.
Workstation Support Unit
  1. Testing user mode assistance for tickets not hardware related.
  2. John from Xerox wanted to know if they could stop using the log books since we are using Grover to track Xerox issues. Answer is: no.
  3. Deep Freeze is still disappearing from public machines for no reason. Will is looking into the MS tool as an alternative.
  1. Jason has logged several problem-reporting tickets to FCLA.
  2. Jason is working on a lot of Health requests and orders.
  3. Jason has been setting up a lot of ALEPH accounts.
Software Projects Status
  1. Computer Availability tool was demoed to Leilani and Jana. It displays how extensively used the public computers are. They seem to like it. It is now in lock down mode - they have stats from Verify Patron. We will use this data to track the number of new accounts. Stephen Williams created a staff version. It is in production. We'll need to keep up with it.
  2. ARL stats - Michael Jay is working on it.
  3. Tracking database - trigger fires when a book is assigned the DLC project code - the fix broke something, but it is now repaired.
  4. Grover modes underway - adding history list to emails.
  5. Winston has been spending too much time in Accounting helping Jennifer Ellenwood with ILL loans and lost book reports in Crystal reports on Delphi.
  6. Michael Jay - Cataloging macros - the latest version has common problems - player is not pointing to the correct file. Michael gave Evan a WORD document with simple fixes.
  7. Serials macros - gray area between programming, maintenance and creation. 80-85% of those macros were created by Jason. Installation should be done by Workstation Support unit.
  8. Bibliographic Quality Control Utility - Betsy is submitting an article to the Info and Technology Journal.
Web Projects
  1. Tom put up a list of new PO Box numbers for the Library on the Web page.
  2. Matthew submitted a new homepage design to Tom Minton.
  3. Wiki mentioned in AGRSSR meeting. Jason is working on one for AGRSSR. Judy is looking for it.
  4. The link on the IT Web page to the blog does not work. Need to change the capital 'S' in the link.
Students and Department
  1. Erasmo has been rehired to work on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
  2. Debra will send Will the total work hours for all of the students.
IT Security Management
  1. Meeting held.


University of Florida Home Page