Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
September 5, 2008

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Patricia Ruwell, Stephen Williams
Announcements
  1. Debra is back!
  2. DragonCon was awesome.
  3. Tyler (Jason's son) can say "no" now.
  4. MMM - feedback on the SWAT team - concerns voiced regarding those whose time is divided - their duties are being accomplished at a slower rate. Everyone loves Grover - positive feedback on the tickets.
    Disaster prep - feedback regarding the last minute notification to unplug machines during the Tropical Storm Fay - people were confused as to what/where to unplug. Amy and Jason are working on pictorial instructions.
    Reports of Grover email going to Junk Mail. Additional information requested.
    Documentation wanted for Xerox procedures - Amy is working on it.
    Location groups for Education in Grover requested.
    Public workstations - Campus AD user signed on and got his roaming profile - he did not want to see it. Amy is working on a solution. Need to set the group policy to lock our domain.
    Leilani requested the elimination of the HSSS distribution group. Unfortunately, this removed Education and AFA staff as well - and they were not getting the All Staff emails. Will has fixed the problem.
Review Minutes of 8/29/08
  1. IBM laptop return - MSL - ongoing. The laptops have been tagged with property IDs.
Ongoing IT Updates
Equipment Received/Installed/Repaired
  1. Orders will start flowing now that Debra is back.
Networking/Hardware Issues
  1. Disabling SysLias group - ongoing, evaluating.
  2. Tivoli - Logan is working on the Tivoli backup option with Allan Rout. Will test and get a cost estimate. We may possibly move all our backups to it.
  3. Public computer migration to AD is done. Logging off vs. ctl-alt-delete: we're working on pushing the solution to desktop. Will talked to MMM regarding signage to display log off procedures, as opposed to having them set on the wallpaper.
  4. Greenstone backup - need to purchase a tool. We're kind of waffling in waiting for the Tivoli solution.
  5. SAN migration - we're finished with Preservation. LARS has been moved by Logan.
  6. IT loaner laptops have been encrypted. Office compatibility patch has been installed. Second Life is graphic intensive and uses most of the memory.
  7. Central Exchange Campus AD - public has been moved. Staff is next. Possibly by the end of November. No commitment yet.
  8. Disaster prep - Will has a server shutdown program. The SAN requires hands-on shutdown.
Workstation Support Unit
  1. Evan - Deep Freeze is causing problems - causing domain drop offs. There is a new MS tool like DeepFreeze. We may switch to it.
  2. Remote service error - Music and Journalism - had to restart ALEPH. FCLA fixed it.
Software Projects Status
  1. ARL stats - Michael Jay met with Steve Carrico this week. He should start coding soon.
  2. Tracking database - some database changes made.
  3. Greenstone - minor changes.
  4. VIVO - should be moved to: Pending Outside Forces.
  5. Bryant - ongoing.
  6. Stephen is looking at a prototype for Computer Availability Tool. He may demo it next week.
  7. Affiliation modification proposal - Judy sent an email to Bridges. Warren submitted our proposal to ITAC. The proposal wasn't exactly what we requested - he made some changes. It did not incorporate all of our requests.
  8. National Library Barcode Prefix - awaiting response from Jim Stevens.
  9. Ticketmaster policy - someone needs to monitor Grover when Debra is at lunch, not in the office, etc.
Web Projects
  1. Matthew finished the video on repairing pop-up books. Eventually, it will be up on the Web.
  2. The Dean sent a list of Web pages with broken links and out-of-date information to Tom. Tom will research software that can detect broken links.
  3. Self-check machine - paper was out, keys were missing. Matthew is getting copies made. Matthew generated reports for the Dean that showed 1 in 4 failures on the checkout machines.
Students and Department
  1. Erasmo - was supposed to check his schedule and get back with us. No word yet. Debra will try to contact him.
IT Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page