Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
August 8, 2008
August 8, 2008
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Evan WackAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 8/1/08
- PO Box for the IT department: 117006.
Ongoing IT Updates
- GovConnection/MSL laptop return - 12 batteries did not get sent back to GovConnection - they were sitting in the mailroom. Old property IDs will be reissued. They will need to be entered into Grover.
- MMM - problems with ALEPH reports on Print Daemon machines - they were instructed to report the problem through Grover. Matthew will be the one working on it for now; eventually, the workstation support unit will handle.
- Denise Bennett brought up a problem in MMM regarding patrons having trouble logging on to the public machines in MSL around 1PM on July 23. She wondered if it was due to updates getting pushed. (Grover ticket #26875). We need to check the event logs and test the McAfee policy push.
- Loaner laptops - Matthew Loving took a laptop to Canada - we encrypted the drive - he was unable to access anything. Admin encryption will not allow LibUser access. We are still working on the encryption issue.
- CJK machine - hardware issue with the three partitions and the public image - the keyboard and mouse freeze up after reboot. Logan will test it on an older machine - may need to use a PS2 port. Logan will send David hickey an update on the status.
- Cynthia mentions that she found that Paul Lightcap's machine had a decrease in performance after the installation of Service Pack 3. She uninstalled Service Pack 3 and it did not solve the problem. It will need to be FDisked.
- OCLC connection - taking 5 minutes to open - need to uninstall/reinstall. Select 'client only'.
- Outlook 2K7 - issue with losing mail if you have two sessions open on two different machines. The settings for Outlook need to be the same on each machine.
- Grover - can't edit the note field once it has been saved.
Workstation Support Unit
- Tivoli - Logan spoke with Allen Rout about Tivoli - he's excited. We will use it for a two-week trial period. Logan is going on vacation, so we'll wait until he gets back. It seems like this will be the most cost-effective back-up solution.
- Public AD migration - took 3-4 of us to figure out the most hidden setting ever - it was a security setting on the campus side. Patron logging will not work across the domain. Script writing for implementation is behind schedule. Special Collections and LAC were set up for today; it may happen later this afternoon. There is one other component left to address. We will probably still roll it out; it isn't critical to the process.
- Disaster prep - we've got the basics only. We are saving the logs and IIS config.
- McAfee update - server issues fixed. DLC is the exception. Too much data being moved; McAfee slows access. Two new VM servers showed up in the McAfee logs - Logan says they were just for testing and to disregard.
- SAMBA config - done. Ready to be tested.
- SAN migration - 90% done. Preservation has been migrated, but we still need to do LARS. Logan is going to meet with Bobby Parker about it.
- Central Exchange Server migration to Campus AD - Will discussed it at MMM and gave them the link with information on mail management from the campus site: http://www.mail.ufl.edu/questionsandanswers.html.
Software Projects Status
- MSL walk-through - worked on public passwords, Grover ticket shortcuts at the service desks, offline ALEPH client in each location.
- We have training scheduled with Matthew for print daemon and the self-checkout machines.
- New version of Grover released yesterday. Improvements to sorting, ticket page redesign, more instructive wording on emails, etc. Can student employees access Grover? No.
- DLC - Mark is out for the next week. He put out a new version of UFDC builder.
- Michael Jay - working on documents for Ariel stats.
- Winston has been working with Amy on the migration to Campus AD. Bill called with concerns about student spouses - how their permissions expire.
Students and Department
- Tom Minton is attending a campus training session.
IT Security Management
- New student, Shamika Brooks, starts Tuesday, August 19.
- Meeting held.