Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
August 1, 2008

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams
Announcements
  1. Evan is looking for a tile setter.
  2. Email announcement regarding pay raises - controversy with faculty raises due to layoffs.
  3. Xerox printing - 4 more months left in the contract - any new agreement? It is in the hands of the Directors.
  4. IT staff doing public services work - topic of discussion.
Review Minutes of 7/18/08
  1. RIR #3 - property IDs for MSL loaner laptops- still ongoing.
Ongoing IT Updates
Equipment Received/Installed/Repaired
  1. Loaner Laptop encryption - all users folder should be encrypted on all loaner laptops.
  2. CJK - need to order license.
  3. Self-check machine installed in West and MSL. The one in MSL is not yet working. Maintenance of the self-check machines has been done by Matthew. It will eventually have to fall under the domain of the Hardware Unit.
Training
  1. Grover: new version updates listed on the IT Blog.
  2. Workstation Support Unit - West last week, MSL next, other branches to follow and East will be last. We have preliminary plans for: inventory, bio passwords for staff machines and defragging.
Networking
  1. MSL switches - code upgrade this Sunday by CNS. Down time should only be 1-2 Minutes. It will be done during the regular maintenance window in the morning. No one should notice.
  2. Public migration to AD is on pace. Hope to start staff migration in September; we'll see how the public roll out goes.
  3. McAfee - is VM working yet? There are issues with the security settings. Permissions need to be changed.
  4. Greenstone SAMBA - per Logan, it will be done today. Logan will get with Cynthia to verify that Backup Exec is working for it.
  5. SAN migration - 75% done. Departments left include: Access Support, Preservation and Acquisitions. Those should migrate next week, leaving West and Admin to finish it all up.
  6. CNS wall plate network edge protection - the roll out was scheduled for three weeks ago, but that has been cancelled. It should be rescheduled in the future. Logan notes that DLC has it enabled. Perhaps it has already rolled out?
  7. Backup solution to capture DLC data - buy new or use the CNS Tivoli solution. Need to get a cost comparison.
  8. It's now official: phones to be handled by IT rather than Facilities. Will to make an announcement to that effect.
  9. NT14 and NT16 - UPS down. Backup Exec not working.
  10. NT12 is about to be decommissioned. The DLC data has been moved. We redid the settings. The backup job can be removed next week.
  11. Spam filtering broken - Exchange issue.
Software Projects Status
  1. Grover - Will received a compliment on it from the Dean. It seems to be settling down well. We will continue to make adjustments.
  2. Tracking database - Tom is working on it.
  3. Greenstone Fedora testing is on hold for a couple of weeks.
  4. UFDC - Mark will be gone for two weeks - he is working on documentation for while is gone. CPU usage issues - Logan to check on Web usage.
  5. Affiliation modification - Winston spoke with Warren - he was going to check on it. Winston informed Bill. Bill spoke with Warren at a Shibboleth meeting. Status still pending.
  6. Shibboleth authentication - Gatorlink authentication will be replaced by Shibboleth by Fall '09. This will affect the carrel reservation system.
Web Projects
  1. Forms-to-mail - Tom monitors them and has seen a huge increase in spam. Solution may be to change the token name or lock down the account.
  2. Space for Web logs - retain? Tom says: keep them all - find space. Let's consolidate it all to one space and then delete what is not needed.
Students and Department
  1. Phones, training, etc - new student, Shamika Brooks, starts August 19. Please remember to help her out while Debra is on vacation. Our current student, Rob, may work through the last weeks of August to assist her in learning the ropes.
IT Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page