Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Systems Staff Meeting Notes
July 11, 2008

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Paul McDonough, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack
Announcements
  1. There was a snake on Bobbie's property.
  2. Amy notes how that First Coast News is rotten.
  3. Amy's granddaughter is potty-trained.
  4. Stephen Williams is getting married this weekend.
  5. Roller Derby demo at the fairgrounds this Sunday, 5-8PM.
  6. Per Tom Minton: "Wanted" is the worst movie (so far) of the year.
Review Minutes of 6/27/08
  1. Remove Winston's name from attendees.
  2. Liaisons #2 - sentence corrected.
Ongoing Systems Updates
Equipment Received/Installed/Repaired
  1. Orders started moving. There is a budget issue - the one we were given is not adequate for the entire Library. The Directors are discussing the issue. We may be unable to buy much.
  2. IBM laptops - the replacement is complete; however, the records have not been updated in property records and inventory.
  3. CJK - not done yet. Logan to order a commercial boot loader. Should be done next week. Someone needs to advise David Hickey of the status.
Liaisons/Training
  1. Reorganization - liaisons to be phased out. They currently still have their permissions, but those should be revoked by the fall semester. Departments can assign a liaison to keep up with their inventory, but they will not have Administrator rights. The migration to AD would be a good point at which to revise liaison privileges.
  2. Amy's Liaison blog will be changed to the Systems Blog. It will be opened to the entire Library as we transition. Most of the links on the Systems Web page are on the blog. Blog template generator on the Web - Stephen needs to change the color.
  3. Systems training - Grover is close to launch. We are currently testing it. The new Systems folks will need to be trained as soon as possible. All Library staff will require training as well.
  4. ALEPH training - Matthew to lead a demo, either in 419 West or 419 East.
  5. Cross training - Workstation Support Group - looking at all Libraries. Logan notes he will need to do some cross-training on the Copibook setup in DLC.
Networking
  1. Disaster prep - Will is working on documentation on server shutdowns, Logan on the SAN shut down. Estimated time that the power supplies should keep the servers up is 15 minutes. We should be able to be extended to a half hour with redundant backup. Management console monitor is on UPS. Config files are being backed up.
  2. McAfee is working on the virtual servers. Framework needs to be updated.
  3. Greenstone backup - problems with the SAMBA share. We need to have a better plan for the UFDC backup. The disk array is getting full. UFDC - JPEG2K is not being backed up. Need to have a meeting with Erich and Bill regarding the purchase of more equipment to use for storage.
  4. Logan notes an issue with the server room switches. A port storm triggered two ports to shut down. Robert at CNS said we need a firmware upgrade. Logan opened a ticket with CNS - it will be done next Sunday morning.
  5. SAN migration - network drives were re-mapped. Users may need to reboot to see the U and Z drives. Everyone should be logging off, not locking up when they leave for the day.
Upcoming Projects
  1. Preventative maintenance on machines - to be administered by the Workstation Support Unit. Some policies (defrag) can be set to run on schedule.
  2. Icon on desktop - group policy. LibPublic would put it on all public access areas. It could be put in OU.
  3. Loaner Laptop encryption - not necessary for public laptops, only those that leave the country (staff).
  4. Campus AD - Gmail for students - free after graduation. Not confirmed yet. They would retain the same GatorLink address. Tier 2 & 3 techs - talk of training. We will supply desktop support for our users. Spam settings - will affect high-space users. You will need to check the spam folder; it is adjustable for each user.
  5. CNS wall plate - will detect if you have a hub or switch plugged into a port. It will auto shutdown a port showing multiple MAC addresses. We only have it on the SAN, and that is not the same thing.
Software Projects Status
  1. DLC Tracking database - Importer is ready to go. Tom Bielicke has been spending more time in the DLC, at Erich's request. He is looking at Mark's programming and work flow procedures.
  2. UFDC - new builder rolling out. After that, Mark will look at Fedora. It should be a faster engine.
  3. Circ Analysis - done.
  4. Affiliation modification - no response. Winston will request a status update and forward the reply to Will so he can inform the Directors.
  5. VIVO - Waiting on Sara & Val - scope proposal. Phase One - Cornell clone to run here and we'll modify. Phase Two - dynamic harvesting. We will need to write interface.
  6. Reorg - lots of activity - requests for permissions on time approvals.
  7. Acquisitions - Michael is creating a baseline of his projects. Everything after that will follow the Systems guide.
  8. Grover overview for all staff - Middle Managers mentioned they wanted to be able to see the tickets for all of their staff.
Web Projects
  1. Weblog files - 150K per day - Logan is asking Tom about them. Desktop analysis is the problem. Will to talk to the Directors.
  2. Tom got a request for VM installation - Konqueror (Linux browser) does not display our Library Web page.
  3. Non-conforming Websites - Web team is tasked to enforce conformation to Library standards, unless the Directors have approved.
Students and Department
  1. Erasmo (work study student) quit.
  2. Rob (OPS)) is currently our only student.
  3. Debra has a few leads on work study students for the fall and is trying to pursue them.
Systems Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page