Systems Staff Meeting Notes
June 27, 2008
June 27, 2008
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Jason Fleming, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Evan Wack, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 06-20-08
- Discussion of the IT department reorganization. First non-official meeting with new (additional) staff. Discussed strategy of merging the new folks to 100% IT over the summer. We'll need to get involved with the operations of the other branches. We will have cross training amongst the hardware folks. Will would like a task list of current IT functions from the new staff by next week. Liaison program to be defunct by the end of the summer. Discussion of office policy: use of Web PAULA, recording leave time on Systems calendar, etc.
- Migration to Campus AD - we've announced a deadline of August 15 to get the public workstations on Campus AD. Staff will be migrated next, followed by Exchange.
- Amy's husband (a canine sergeant for the DOC) had an adventurous night Tuesday. It made the First Coast News.
- Bobbie took her granddaughter and seven other girls to a tea party at the Tea Room in Starke for a birthday celebration.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- RIR #3 - Motherboard replacements - so far, we've had problems with 3 of the 40 machines.
- Networking #1 - McAfee framework errors - still need to get with Logan.
- Ordering - usually resumes by the second week in July.
- CJK machine - Logan says it will be done today. Per Evan, it will be housed on the 3rd floor of West.
- Backup SAN relocation - submitted the suggestion to the Directors. They are waiting on an answer from MSL.
- We will gradually be cutting back our use of the liaisons over the summer. They can continue to be used for departmental inventory if the department so desires.
- We will have one last meeting for closure. We will eventually be taking away their administrative rights.
- Discussion on the importance of documenting your work via SysHelp/Grover (all Systems staff). Grover to be demoed at the Cross-Divisional meeting on July 10.
- During the transition, the public services folks will have to be trained to demo equipment. Evan suggests writing a training guide for public use - he has already done so in West. It would be handy to have universal guides for the branches as well.
- Disaster prep - the power outage we experienced in May provoked us to review the procedures we follow in that circumstance.
- McAfee - Bobbie is still experiencing problems with server updates. Ongoing.
- Greenstone backup - to start soon. We need to identify the folder for backup.
- MSL laptops returned to IBM - one box of CD drives got returned in error. Amy suggests getting a credit for the CD drives, as extra was paid for the DVD drives. The additional battery charger arrived.
Software Projects Status
- Encryption to be installed on loaner laptops - campus mandate. Also for any hand-held devices that access email or Web.
- Campus AD on public machines by August 15. Public Services will have to create 14-day accounts for non-affiliated patrons. Circ staff will have to be educated. Log-ins will be different. Staff will move to AD after public. Hardware units will have to move machines from SmathersLib to AD. Duplicate groups will need to be created. There will be a trust between domains. Unified calendars and unlimited mailbox space are big draws. Management of email is different. People will need training.
- Grover - refining email notification.
- Tracking database - revisions complete.
- Fedora testing - Mark. Logan has a server up for Fedora. Will not move until the fall.
- Bryant - Chris is working on the current Web site. It is super slow.
- Affiliation mods - contacted Bridges - no progress.
- Shibboleth presentation July 1 at the Reitz Union.
- VIVO - final go-ahead from MSL.
- Wiki test - next week. Live date unknown.
- ARL stats project is moving to Systems.
- Computer locator - vacant machines for public.
Systems Security Management
- Two new surveys posted: one on late-night service, the other is one question for staff regarding the VIVO finalist names.
- New home page - Research navigation committee - Matthew and Tom will create homepage base on their results.
- Policy issue on templates - the templates used to be mandatory, but departments have gone off on their own. Tom would like to know what the policy is and who has the responsibility to enforce it.
- Meeting held.