Systems Staff Meeting Notes
June 6, 2008
June 6, 2008
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 05/23/08
- Stephen went to a kickball game this weekend and saw Bill Covey at play.
- Roller Derby - Cynthia has volunteered to be a referee. July 13 at the Alachua County Fairgrounds there is a meet & greet.
- Will had a meeting with Bill about project management. He is asking for a list of all Systems projects and tasks and the amount of time spent on them. Everyone should be able to come up with a list in a couple of weeks.
- Exporting computer equipment - DSR is the approving authority for UF. The regulations cover any equipment containing UF material or private information. We will be investigating encrypted software for the checkout laptops. PDAs should have password locks as well as encryption.
- Campus - Shibboleth encryption - to replace the current GatorLink secure access, eventually. It will be transparent to the users. We need to get Systems folks involved. They are already taking early testers, by mid-summer will have early adopters and plan to go into production in the fall.
- Library West will be closed June 20-29 to replace the cork flooring. Staff will still have access to the building. We have scheduled the SX280 replacement for the same time. Dell techs will be on site 6/23-6/26 to replace motherboards. Cynthia suggests setting up flat panel monitors for them to use.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Remove entire paragraph of Networking #1.
- Today is the last day for orders on PO. Next Friday is the last day for VISA orders.
- Meeting yesterday. There were lots of questions about Office 2K7. Individuals can use it if they want. Amy made it available - noted the location on the liaison blog.
- Grover training went well. Meeting again next Thursday in the West Training Room.
Software Projects Status
- Disaster Preparation work is underway.
- McAfee updates - pushed McAfee agent to the servers. SQL broke. We're working on the policies.
- Mark - Greenstone backup/PAULA issues. Discussion of Rich on PAULA/in Systems as well.
- CJK machine delivered to Systems. Logan to work on it next week.
- SAN at MSL - Laurie Brennan wears earplugs to deal with the noise. They have not allocated any space for us to move it.
- Campus AD - moving public - non-affiliates are the problem. Everything else will work. Need to move the Xerox server to AD. Guest account discussion.
- Maps move - they would like to store some public machines here temporarily.
- Grover - fixing issues discovered at the demo.
- Tracking database - Laurie had questions on the importer.
- Greenstone issues - production doesn't serve pages. Mark reset permissions. FAMU stuff is working now. Discussion of DLC problem reporting techniques.
- VIVO conference - Winston just got back from attending at Cornell University. Val and Sara are putting together a proposal for a grant. They will need a server. The project will track the publications and activities of UF Faculty. It will require the time of a software analyst. It is a high profile project. Once it is out, it will be mission critical. Single MySQL server could give it a central point of management.
Systems Security Management
- Completed Google Notification Project. New UF privacy officer wants everything up front. We altered our privacy statement.
- Sam would like a new Library Development Web site created. It may require some programming.
- Tom would like to suggest a Web Team for creating Library Web pages.
- Documents wants a new Web site. MSL has a new one.
- News Blog created by Laurie Taylor.
- Meeting held.