Systems Staff Meeting Notes
April 18, 2008
April 18, 2008
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Stephen notes there are two more weeks of classes.
- Amy will celebrate her grandfather's 87th birthday this weekend.
- Amy is going to Honduras with her church mission in June.
- Review of the policy for the last person to leave the office at night: lights off, doors locked.
- GovConnection promised they would respond by today about the MSL laptops. We'll see.
- Print daemon workstations have not been ordered yet.
- Maps server parts have been ordered from IBM.
- HSS Visioneer scanner - needs to be replaced. Cynthia will let Paul know to put in a SysRequest.
- Liaison training - TBA.
- Systems Staff Training - cross divisional training will be superseded by Grover demo starting Thursday, April 24 10AM East Conference Room. Will probably continue for a few weeks.
Software Projects Status
- Forms-to-Mail outage yesterday - fixed by late afternoon with an IIS service restart.
- SL2K3FS1 failure - part of a VSX server 3.5 upgrade. The failover did not work. Should not have shut off the VM server before shutting down. Will wants us to be sure the failover is working before we move other folks over to that server.
- McAfee - Will completed the survey from Software Licensing. We have 822 workstations and servers using it.
- Amy and Logan are in the process of speaking with departments about moving both departmental and user folders from SmathersNT2R to the SAN. Already met with Access Services, Education, Music, Documents, Facilities and Preservation. Today they'll talk with MSL. Most departments want to move their own stuff.
- DLC/Preservation departmental and user folders are complex. LARS on NT9 - Logan met with John, Rod and Bobby - but there isn't much info about that application. It will need to move over. This should be a separate project.
- Self-checkout workstation coming to West - it was scheduled for the intercession, but it will now be after that. It has to be moved from FCLA, 3M has to be scheduled to come out, it requires a static IP, etc. It will be an HP workstation.
- CJK multi-boot machine - may demo it on Monday. Need to finalize the boot loader. Per David Hickey, the menu can be in English.
DLC Greenstone Issues
- Bryant - nothing.
- Blogs are ready to go. Will to send a message to All Staff.
- Wiki group - Jason Fleming, Matthew Daley, Stacey Ewing, Christine Cogar. We will probably go with Media Wiki. Projected date: end of May.
- Grover demo Thursday. Will require several sessions.
- Tracking database - new version of spreadsheet importer.
- Circ Analysis - FCLA is trying to get a file with Circ statistics.
- Affiliation modification proposal - waiting acknowledgement.
- Request from Circulation to turn on the ability for students that will be attending the upcoming semester to be able to check out books at this time. Then a situation came up where a student was accepted for the summer, but blocked from registering. If they have blocks, they shouldn't be able to check out books. This required a change to Patron Updates.
- Greenstone - secure FTP - going in a different direction.
- Copibook issue reported this morning - they are issuing random out-of-space errors. Logan is working on it.
Students and Department
- Everyone is doing their own thing again, as far as templates go.
Systems Security Management
- Looking for work study students. Hiring is challenging as most are not eligible for work study though they've indicated they are.
- All of the data on the cartridge tapes have been transferred to the virtual server at CNS. The physical tapes have all been removed from the server room. Have requested that Facilities come and remove the five tape racks. Will need to relocate the backup tapes.
- Meeting held.