Systems Staff Meeting Notes
February 29, 2008
February 29, 2008
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Library Council - dissemination of information highly encouraged of all Library Council members. Yesterday's meeting: Peter McKay discussed the Domestic Approval Plan (international vs. domestic shipping on book purchases). A new vendor was selected.
Brian Keith noted that Performance Management evaluations are due by the end of March. He also discussed the new Wachovia free account direct deposit option for new employees - debit cards.
Campus mail service - Facilities has advised everyone that our mail delivery may possibly change over to campus. All departments would be assigned new PO boxes. It would take a few months to go into effect.
Budget - 6% additional reduction starting July 1st. Specific programs will be targeted. Machen stated that there may be additional money for pay raises. They may be based on merit for regular staff.
Reorganization - not a lot of change.
Library Town Meeting - Wednesday March 5 9:30-11AM. It could be clashing with our Employee Recognition breakfast. Debra will discuss it with Laurie Taylor.
- New Director's laptop arrived today. Debra called CDWG to cancel the prior (back) order.
- Visio licenses - upgrade to 2007. It is being used by all of the Systems programmers as well as DLC, Judy and John.
- Liaison Meeting scheduled for next week.
- Systems training - Group C next week.
Software Projects Status
- McAfee upgrade - attached a few more machines, still testing.
- Disk Xtender - still playing license tag. Replistor - DLC, DLC1 - still need to set up configuration - can mirror settings, but not registry. IIS is configured. DLC re-synched - errors when renaming - function of toolkit, getting warnings. DLC choose mirroring for instantaneous backup. Need to keep a log of DLC requests.
- Public workstation CJK - Logan and Amy are working on the image. Logan has it on a test machine right now to see how it works.
- Logan started backups of the VMware server. System files - need to verify if backup will run with files open. May be able to carve out space on the TB drive or the SAN. If tape backup is used, we may need more tapes. Total disaster recovery needed.
DLC Greenstone Issues
- Winston met with John Nemmers, Erich and Laurie Taylor regarding the Bryant Collection. Original EAD (electronic archived description) sent to FCLA - file up on Web - then a tool, DLXS, processes the whole file. It takes a long time for it to load for the user. They want a more AJAX type view - getting the info they need without loading everything. If they stick with the EAD schema, it could get us some recognition outside of the Library. We are in the early phases of trying to translate the EAD schema to SQL.
- Blogger - discussion on allowing people to create accounts but not blogs - controlling the creation of blogs but allowing all users to create accounts or comment anonymously. Logan is working on a new install of WordPress. It will be our production version. We should be able to go live when that is ready.
- Wiki testing - Stephen needs to test the code. Logan asks who will be responsible for controlling it. Preference is to add to the general Library wiki. Everyone could view it, but only Library personnel could edit. It would be complicated to create individual installs for everyone. Need more discussion with Directors.
- Grover - finished hardware, moved on to software. Should be done quickly, then move on to orders followed by networking. Should be able to show it off by that point. There was one issue with hardware in the way IRDB vs. Current Net reports items. It was resolved.
- DLC Tracking - Tom is working on a new major version 4.0. Erich found an error in the current version that needed an immediate fix.
- Mark moved Greenstone (UFDC) to dot net 2.0. This may fix the memory leak problems.
- Circulation Analysis - uploaded three more files for Music, Journalism and AFA.
- Incident report - nothing new.
- Stephen released a new version of Grant Tracking as well as Carrel Reserve.
- Amy and Winston - Bridges proposal to create a new affiliation in the AD version for unaffiliated patrons. Bill signed off on the request. Waiting to hear from Access Services.
- Setting up Copibooks - blew power supply in one of the Copibooks. One may have a dead network card.
Students and Department
- New forth level domains have been set up: LibGuides and Business. Web 2.0 committee is responsible for LibGuides and Peter McKay is responsible for Business. Editors are Tom, Peter and Laurie Taylor. Web 2.0 is setting up a template for others to use.
- There seems to be a lot of unhappiness with the current Web template. People are rethinking whether we need the header on every page and asking why it is so restrictive.
- Fourth level domain names for blog and wiki:
blog.uflib.ufl.edu and wiki.uflib.ufl.edu
Systems Security Management
- Spring Break - March 10-14.
- Meeting held.