Systems Staff Meeting Notes
February 8, 2008
February 8, 2008
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Mark Sullivan, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 02/01/08
- Reorganization discussion.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Software #1 - correction on blog policy.
- Will emailed GovConnection about the battery charger. We have a meeting scheduled with them on Feb.12. They need to give us a solution.
- Liaison Training not yet scheduled.
- Systems Training - Middle Manager's Meeting ran long yesterday, so Group A's training was postponed. Group B will meet next Thursday, 10AM.
Software Projects Status
- Still working on the new McAfee server. It is in limbo right now - it was renamed and that subsequently broke it.
- SAN status - Replistor license - Bill said to go ahead with it. Will is going to hold off until the meeting with GovConnection.
- SAN speed issue - no complaints as of late.
- SMS upgrade is done. Everything works, Logan just needs the time to sit down and get to it. He's working on the OS and software deployment.
- MSL SAN move - Rob spoke to Xerox - they may consolidate two of their offices, giving one up to us. We will have to get additional networking.
- Slip streaming - down to 3 updates from 11. They are actually not real updates, they are new utilities. We need only the updates. Therefore, it is ready to go. Cynthia gave Paul McDonough a disk - he reported that it gives errors. IE7 is not integrating - it requires user intervention. It can be pushed from WSUS.
- Central Exchange Server - meeting later this month. The topic has resurfaced again at meetings - staff are clamoring for increased email size limits.
- AD Public Print Demo - it went well. The Public Service Task Force got their questions answered.
- SAN User Folder/My Docs synch - Middle Mangers seemed interested. Liaisons asked for the pros and cons.
- SAN File Structure - presented to MMM and Liaisons. Permissions to be set by hand. Will prepare for migration to campus AD by creating redundant groups for GatorLink. Discussion of GatorLink mail ensues.
- File server - hosting Web pages - moving it may be an issue - DLC stuff on NT12 and Acquisitions/FCLA shared files on NT2R.
DLC Greenstone Issues
- Blogs/wikis - Bill replied to the policy draft. He found it way too dictatorial. Will eliminated the points Bill wanted - it is now down to ¾ of a page. Anonymity will be allowed and the password policy will be the same as email. Need to come up with a name: Smathers Blog Server. Working on blog templates.
Wikis - working on setting it up with a Library password log-in. Laurie Taylor has been asking if we are wiki ready - told her almost - we are tweaking it.
- Grover - design issue this week for DHCP machines. It has been worked out.
- Tracking database - new version with changes released - Erich accepted. Now we are really into the design phase for Web Client.
- Greenstone - production server not responding yesterday and this morning - something different than the usual problem. Logan restarted it - was a server, not software, problem.
- UFDC optimization - update to Erich to be sent today. Two milestones are done. Mark Sullivan to start on the third.
- IRDB - problem with reporting on software by department - it is now fixed.
- SysRequest - problem with the Notify field. It now checks for the correct username/email.
- Folder issue last week - HR wanted Sam Huang to have access to PDF folders. Had to change the registry setting - couldn't open attachments in Exchange. It's working now.
- Finally fixed scanner problems - got the CopiBooks networked to the SAN. Logan had to create local accounts for each CopiBook on the DLC server. He will inform DLC folks.
Systems Security Management
- SSI scratched. Too many security issues.
- Expect to be getting more programming requests.
- Meeting held.