Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Systems Staff Meeting Notes
January 18, 2008

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Stephen Williams
Announcements
  1. Amy is going to the Barnum & Bailey circus in Jacksonville this weekend.
Review Minutes of 1/11/08
  1. Ann #5 - summer classes will be in session, per Machen.
Ongoing Systems Updates
Equipment Received/Installed/Repaired
  1. Nothing new with ordering.
Liaisons
  1. No training as of late. Amy will give MS certification training next time.
  2. Systems training on VM Ware - went well. Logan will continue to be the instructor. The second group will meet from 10AM-12PM next Thursday. Tom Minton will move to Group 2 and Mark to Group 3. When this topic is finished, we will decide on one for the next session.
Networking
  1. New McAfee server - testing the E Policy orchestrator. We currently have six workstations pointing at it (four from Facilities). Looks like the automatic updates are working. Hopefully, this will solve the problem. We'll give it another week of testing, and then switch over.
  2. SAN status - license issue - still talking to GovConnection about the Replistor licensing.
  3. Gigabit feed was upgraded to MSL. It is working fine. The DLC gigabit feed upgrade is not going to happen.
  4. DLC speed issue with the SAN is solved. Share issues turned out to be the problem. We also discovered that an old version of Photoshop was being used and it would not copy directly to the network. Photoshop CS has to be used.
  5. SMS - installed new version. The clients have not been pushed. It works and is connecting to the database. Need to work out some issues.
  6. SAN at MSL - we may relocate it to CSE. It will be a matter of cost. The reason for moving it: MSL 206 folks are complaining about the noise level and there is a heat issue in MSL. There are better feeds and air conditioning at CSE.
  7. Slipstreaming - Cynthia was successful in making a bootable CD, but it was lacking 88 updates. She continues to work on this issue.
  8. Central Exchange server - whether or not we join is still in flux.
  9. Public AD print demo - using CIRCA printer and release station. It worked. We will do the demo for all interested parties. We are trying to set it up. There is an issue with people being in the correct campus AD group - but, CIRCA is eager to please. Will non-UF people be able to print? It's possible, but will require extra steps. The procedure needs to be mapped out. They would need to be issued temporary GatorOne cards. Public computers are still scheduled to convert to campus AD over spring break. We are just moving the computers to campus AD at that time, not printing. Xerox printing will still be in use. We also need to test the Patron Logging software.
  10. Consolidated Logging - client has been installed on the SMS box. It is using a freeware tool to sparse.
  11. SAN user folder/My Documents synchronization - Bill has objections right now to this notion. We need to bring him up to speed on our intentions. This feature will be put on hold for now. It can be set up, just not enabled.
  12. Wireless printing in MSL is working! Amy worked hard to get it functioning.
Software Projects Status
  1. Grover is ongoing.
  2. Incident reporting - Matthew and Lori requested some changes. The changes were made and they are now testing it.
  3. Blogs - Status of the Policy & Procedures document? The Directors are slated to discuss it today, although Judy will not be present.
  4. National Barcode - not on the table at this time.
  5. DLC Importer - today we'll be putting out a new test version for Erich's approval.
  6. Tom Minton is still unable to log into the blog server. Even Stephen is unable to log into it on Tom's machine. Maybe it is limited by the subnet?
DLC Greenstone Issues
  1. SCSI card upgrade is done.
  2. Two logical disks added.
  3. Backup issue with Development server - Backup Exec is on Greenstone Development.
Web Projects
  1. Tech Services template is a success. Someone was using Java script to bring in a file - Tom told that person to just change the Web site.
  2. Extended hours survey - under construction.
  3. Server-side includes? When will that happen? Let's go ahead and enable them. We'll activate them and see if it will work. Need to turn off FrontPage extensions. If we get it working, there are still a few things left to do.
Students and Department
  1. Student schedule for the spring is finalized.
Systems Security Management
  1. Meeting held.

 

University of Florida Home Page