Systems Staff Meeting Notes
October 19, 2007
October 19, 2007
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Mark Sullivan, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 10/5/07
- Logan is going to be setting up his Mom's iMac this weekend. Mac discussion ensues.
- Tampa: Operation Web Lock - Will attended the conference last week. It was presented by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Interesting.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Equipment #1 - DLC, not DLS.
- Web #2 - Laurie Taylor, not Lane Taylor.
- AFA scanning stations - replacements to be ordered.
- Celebrate & Educate session is scheduled on November 1st at 2:00 pm at MSL Room 107 - to celebrate our exemplary security incident report. John Sawyer from CNS will speak and light refreshments provided by the Employee Recognition fund.
Software Projects Status
- McAfee updates: Will is working on it.
- SAN - close to roll-out. Probably could be ready next week, but Logan will be out at training. He needs to reinstall more software. We have a new file server on order for DLC. Also need to add arrays to fiber network.
- Central Exchange Server - campus is offering Exchange 2K7 to the entire campus. Kickoff scheduled for February. Mailbox space to be unlimited. Public folders and distribution lists will be supported. There will be several tiers of support; we would take the second level. Training will be offered. Our whole organization will be moved to Campus AD. We are currently experimenting with public machines. We hope to migrate the public machines around Christmas time and the first group of staff machines by spring. By the summer, we may have the entire domain on Campus AD, or at least all users. It is a good deal; this is basically an offer we cannot refuse.
- Backup Exec upgrade - not done yet. There is no space on the server. We're working on it.
- Wireless in East is done.
Systems Security Management
- Grover - handouts passed around. Long discourse followed.
- Tracking database - new version now under discussion. Ready to upgrade the version number to 4.0.
- Greenstone - we are looking at Fedora. Will have to consider operating systems.
- Meeting held.