Systems Staff Meeting Notes
August 27, 2007
August 27, 2007
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Mark Sullivan, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Warner Robbins, Georgia won the Little League baseball world series.
- There was fire in MSL last Friday - a fan was left on in a janitorial closet. It overheated and caught fire. Please remember: turn off all electrical devices.
- Orders under $1000 are moving.
- We've had a request to replace the RAM in the classroom 211 West. We may upgrade or just get new machines - depends upon the pricing.
- Inventory - Bill would like a list of discrepancies by department.
- Training - starts tomorrow morning.
- West public machines started rebooting late on Friday afternoon. Update/Deep Freeze issue. Logan redid Group Policy. Working on a new solution. Will reinstall the console over the weekend, the re-enable the policy and see if it works.
Software Projects Status
- Logan is deactivating computer accounts that have not been active within the last 10 weeks. Mostly, it's replaced staff machines.
- SAN - both servers are configured and the OS is installed. May get the storage configured this week.
- SMS - DHCP enabled in East this week - can log when people log in and out. Can enable auditing across the domain.
- Updates - good.
- McAfee updates - there are some that are not updating manually.
- Logan is working to export the BBS to a virtual machine so that server can be used for other things (such as the blog).
- Blogger - Stephen is loading software to create multiple blogs. Standard Library templates can be put on the blog. There is a lot of Word Press used on campus.
- Grover is still ongoing.
- Tracking database - synch-up tools.
- UFDC - released other tools this morning. Backup failed this weekend.
- UFID - barcode Lori likes it, but wants changes.
- VIVO tool - for the institutional repository - with Cornell University. It will require some programming on our part. Teleconference with Cornell this week.
- We made a change in ID Checker this week. There was a problem with the carrel reservation - had to broaden the override policy in ID Checker.
- Verify Patron Failover - Thursday - went well. Two machines in LAC had problems.
- Melody Reidy has asked if we would share our Personnel database with the IT folks at the Reitz Union (where she currently works). Will is going to run through the appropriate channels for approval.
Systems Security Management
- MSL - Kathryn Kennedy's web pages were opened and then saved in WORD and destroyed. Tom re-saved them in HTML.
- Jana Ronan is on maternity leave (adoption). Marilyn has been assigned her Web duties.
- Meeting held.