Systems Staff Meeting Notes
February 12, 2007
February 12, 2007
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Mark Sullivan, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Bobbie reports lots of dead jellyfish at the beach this weekend.
- We welcome our new IT Expert, Logan Clapp, to the department.
- Stephen is allergic to Sparkles. Cynthia's Mom has adopted her.
- Will is talking to Dell - getting a quote for 200 work stations to replace out-of-warranty staff machines.
- New machines to be ordered with XP: we will not upgrade to Vista until the end of spring or summer. We will probably push Vista and Office 2K7 at the same time.
- Amy and Trudi had a meeting about staff technical competency - maybe one month before pushing Vista we will install it on the laptops in room 419 as an introduction.
- NT2R - we may replace it with a large chunk of storage - one in East and one in MSL for backup. Right now we are backing up 650G of data. Will has an email into Dell for the latest and greatest. NT2R is currently running W2K.
- Training is just about ready. Room 419 East is set up. Facilities is buying a portable projector screen for us to use. Amy has in on her calendar for two weeks from today. She needs to get the course description loaded into the new Training Database.
Software Projects Status
- Dell Media Tech is scheduled to finish Library West next week (Feb. 19-23).
- West security cameras - have been going back and forth on this with CNS/PPD/Security One. CNS wants the server on the same VLAN as West. Once the video cameras are finally up and running, we will add other library branches.
- Xerox - Amy met with Brett on Wednesday. Everything is 'user error' in their eyes. PDF charges - Brett says it is working. Amy checked, and it is not. The next meeting is scheduled for this Wednesday at 1PM.
Systems Security Management
- Forms-to-Mail - most sites have converted. Tom sent out an announcement. Linux machine - don't know if anyone is using it - Tom can do a Web search.
- FCLA conversion - Dewey call numbers to collective code - everything is now converted.
- FCLA wants secure transfer of data out of the servers for Patron Load files - it is currently not sent over a secure connection. Accounts payable/receivable - bill and fine info - now goes from Jack Waters to Winston to Bridges. We want them to encrypt and send it directly to Bridges.
- Training Database to be demoed Thursday 1:30PM at the Town Meeting.
- Tom B. has been working on the spreadsheet uploader. It meets their current requirements, but now, of course, they have more.
- Mark is out of town - Ephemeral Cities has a deadline of July 2007 - it needs to be finished by then.
- FCLA provided the programmers a view into the ALEPH reporting database in the raw, SQL mode. Can be done through the Web.
- Meeting held.