Systems Staff Meeting Notes
November 20, 2006
November 20, 2006
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- The Thanksgiving Luncheon has been moved to the hallway. Room 100 is under construction.
- Discussion of: Sonny's restaurant, speed traps, and proper disposal of deer carcasses.
- Stephen waited on line for 24 hours for the Nintendo Wii video gaming system. A homemade drano bomb was thrown at the line of people. Fortunately, he was off getting food at the time. No one was hurt, and the police are investigating.
- Orders ongoing, but moving slowly.
- The new tape drive is driving Will crazy. It has not completed a cycle yet. It keeps saying that the media is unknown and will not write to it. May have to call Dell soon if we can not get it to work. The problem seems to be with the tape drive.
- PCMT had their first meeting. The minutes are posted in the public folders. Mostly discussed Xerox complaints and changing some of the wording in Verify Patron.
Software Projects Status
- Xerox - Documents still having problems. Xerox is working on it. Brett wants to meet to discuss all of the problems we are having with Xerox. Amy is compiling a spreadsheet. Will meet after the Thanksgiving holidays.
- Public workstation failover - we are much closer - found a way to shorten the failover time. It is almost ready to go. Have also replaced the logo. We want to try and upgrade over the student Christmas break. May do the Xerox upgrades at that time also. Testing set for January - the Wednesday after MS updates.
- Generation Fifth - no news. Lori has other projects in the wings.
- VISTA OS - many of our workstation would not be able to handle it. Winston has already downloaded it. Dual Boot can have both, but need an upgraded version of Partition Magic.
- NT2R1 & NT2R2 need larger C drives.
Students and Departments
- Lori is considering a hosted version of E-Reserves. It is a product built by the ILLIAD people.
- Current Net mods - Mac address is now in IRDB. Will put button on Current Net to go to the IRDB database.
- Quality Control - Bill is reviewing.
- Training database - demoed for Jana's group - they were very impressed - no changes - positive feedback. We are working on a reporting feature. Need a batch file created to upload Excel files of UF training classes completed by staff.
- Personnel database - Tina has been talking about some changes.
- Tom B. - has been learning all about the DLC Tracking database and batch loading records from ALEPH.
Systems Security Management
- All three students will be attending the Thanksgiving Luncheon.
- Meeting held.