Systems Staff Meeting Notes
November 13, 2006
November 13, 2006
Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Mark Sullivan, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- New programmer, Tom Bielicke, started today.
- Amy notes that hunting season started. Deer carcass stories ensue.
- Support Services Division Thanksgiving luncheon scheduled for Tuesday, November 21 at noon. Hosted by Bill Covey. The whole division will be closed during the event.
- Evidence of a rat or squirrel-like creature: has chewed through a phone cord in Preservation, candles in Resource Services, a JetDirect power cord and a network cord in Resource Services. PPD has been notified and they put down some traps.
- New tape drive received Friday evening. It should have arrived on Thursday. Will got it installed and it has been running all weekend. It will now hold twice as much data and run twice as fast. We'll only need to run the backups on weekends only.
- Public Services has asked for a committee: PCMT: Public Computer Management Team - for liaisons that serve 70% of their time doing public computer support. They will meet on the third Thursday of each month at 2PM. Members include: Laurie Brennan/Michael Howell, Marvin, Logan, Carol Whitmer, Trish Ruwell, Paul McDonough. The charge for this group is: public computing needs and enhancements.
Software Projects Status
- Xerox printing still problematic. Documents is back up, however.
- Public workstation failover - not ready.
- Generation Fifth software - ordering is back and forth on this - price started at $30,000 - it's now at $58,000. Bill knows of another product that could do the job. Still up in the air.
Systems Security Management
- Verify Patron - failover works, but too slowly - Stephen is working on it.
- ITS demo to HSSS tomorrow at 10:30AM West 212.
- Aerial server - access problems - moved to 2K3SQL, it was still referencing NT4.
- Mark is getting Tom B. up to speed on the DLC Tracking database.
- Meeting held.