Systems Staff Meeting Notes
November 6, 2006
November 6, 2006
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Mark Sullivan, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Thanksgiving dinner for the Support Services division will be held on November 21 at noon in room 100. The event will be a catered Thanksgiving dinner, provided by Interim Director, Bill Covey.
- Meeting last week - decided not to push IE7 to workstations. Staff can download it if they so desire.
Software Projects Status
- Back-up tape got stuck - broken tape drive. Will have to contact an outside source to come and repair it. This means the weekly back-ups are not running.
- Xerox - they think they have a handle on printing. They rebuilt the Documents release station and are putting it back on the network. The print release station in Journalism was picked up by CNS for needing patches. We informed Xerox.
- Verify Patron failover - the new version works, but takes 70 seconds to actually failover (too long). The problem appears to be in the Delphi component. In progress.
- Access Services is trying to order some software to help them run things out at ALF. It's called Generation Fifth software. It helps to rearrange books on shelves by size. It is very expensive and basically requires Sun servers - not Linux. Bill is working out the details with Access Services such as to whether or not it is feasible to purchase.
- Continued testing on Verify Patron. Have been doing it in the middle of the day - seems okay.
- Chris has been working on Current Net and IRDB mods for Bobbie. The request originally came from Bill to record the Mac address in IRDB.
- Quality Control - Winston sent the statement to Bill via email. No response as of yet.
- Training database - 'Its' - demoed, using on test basis.
- Greenstone - Mark is plugging along.
- Upcoming: uberface for Bill Covey.
Students and Departments
- Metalib is a done deal.
- Log-on page - Carol Turner is the new charge of the committee.
- Uberface - Tom has been asked to re-design the Library Web site.
- Proxy log-on page has gone to the committee.
- Tom now has to give a week's notice regarding changes to the Web site. His announcements will be posted on the bulletin board under Web Announcements.
Systems Security Management
- Students will resume requiring Systems visitors to sign in at the front and back doors.
- Meeting held.