Systems Staff Meeting Notes
September 11, 2006
September 11, 2006
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Geoffrey Stewart, Mark Sullivan, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Winston's gator hunting proved unsuccessful.
- Several rowdy incidents reported in West during game day Saturday. Discussion turns to how impossible it is to park on campus during game days.
- Carpet installation has started today in the old Systems area.
- Orders - moving out of Will's queue.
- West Ref desk - 42" cutout - architect was supposed to supply a plasma screen, but will now be ordered and installed by us.
- Needs assessment - Amy has gotten response. Some have asked for refreshments!
- Web CT - they are now offering an alternate, lock-down browser for students to use for test-taking purposes. They should be able to download the browser to a machine. If it proves to be something students can't do, we may end up having to install it on the public machines ourselves.
- Verify Patron - Winston installed it on the server, now it needs to go on all the public machines.
Software Projects Status
- Bloomberg - works fine without DeepFreeze. May relocate the machine to the Microform area - back where it will be isolated. We will still talk to Bloomberg to try and get it to work with DeepFreeze, but it seems like that won't be the case.
- Media Tech: room 211 West - noisy fan to be replaced, room 229 West - plasma mount, room 419 - smart board - ordered with a stand, but should be wall-mounted. MSL - enunciator.
- Tom asks that one of the laptops in the staff training room be designated as the instructor laptop. The issue is being addressed.
- We will build and have ready stand-by machines on a regular rotation so that as out-of-warranty machines fail, we can pull machines ready-to-go from the vault. They will update automatically.
- Judaica - wanted to set up public printing on Yael's machine. Will brought it up to Bill - it may be a situation unique to Judaica with the language software. Bill will discuss it with them.
- Media Tech - mounts in vault - Dell claims that UPS has been out three times to pick them up. Systems has not been contacted. We will have to move it for them to pick up.
- Quality Control and Training database - ongoing.
- Personnel database - Chris complete a Web page to view the position descriptions. It sorts by department and title.
- Ying's position - had 18 applicants - narrowed it to five - Erich reviewed and said two were acceptable. Winston says: possibly three.
- Issue with Trouble Tickets this week - had a ticket that went on forever - if it's over 8000 characters, the Outlook function will not work.
- Erich has purchased the dloc.com domain. We are responsible for putting up the content.
- Winston has the account on forms-to-mail.
- Ephemeral Cities - Mark - 2000 functionality.
Systems Security Management
- FCLA - last Thursday & Friday - Metalib summit - we're further along than the rest of the state. In the spring a new version will be released. At that point, we will have to start from scratch. The old version can still run while the new one is being set up. Everyone will have to make the changes in time for the state roll-out sometime next year. Should be an easier to use version.
- Tom reports lots of redirects on the Library Web site - Ask a Librarian page, for example.
- "Tuesdays with Tom" - tomorrow is Survey Monkey. He is also taking topic suggestions.
- Meeting held.