Systems Staff Meeting Notes
August 21, 2006
August 21, 2006
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Geoffrey Stewart, Mark Sullivan, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Bobbie notes a cute house on Center Avenue in Keystone Heights that's for sale. It comes with a free set of earplugs.
- Power outage in AFA - unknown date & time.
- Dell Media Tech installation is almost finished. East conference room needs power - Facilities is on it.
- Classrooms in West are done - preview of operations tomorrow at 1PM.
- Staff training room 419 - smart board not a part of the project - have not discussed this yet with Trudi.
- Room 229 - needs power and reinforcement to hold 42" monitor.
- Enunciator - MSL - Sarah Gonzalez is handling the project. The equipment should be here in October.
- Painting in the old Systems area - no activity at the moment. PPD had to split the job between two contractors. Waiting for the second.
- TV/DVD/VCR Combos - did not fit in the booths. They will be replaced by flat panels. Five will be redistributed to other Libraries. The one broken one will be returned for a refund.
- Forms-to-Mail - Suzy gave a document on the procedure to Winston.
- Will is trying to keep up with the orders.
Software Projects Status
- Master Browser - West - old fix - losing connectivity with Xerox server. Xerox print release had incorrect network settings - server reboots - probable processor/memory errors. Seven are now showing up correctly.
- Updates have been rolling through - from 42 to only 15 missing - all of the missing are laptops. Apparently the message to update them by hand was not understood.
- Greenstone backup - looks good, is now running. Updates Saturdays at 5AM. It takes 4 tapes. Discussion of backup procedures.
- Library West high-end computers - implementation of all software with no printing until Xerox can fix it.
- AD meeting - rolling out next phase - 16-character GatorLink passwords. Daily guest password to go away on Oct 16. Faculty and staff will be able to create time-limited sign-ons for walk-ins.
- E-Reserves - all of Chris' changes are done. Will be in use as soon as classes start on Wednesday.
- Personnel database - Winston is working on it. Phase one changes complete.
- Mark is putting up Ephemeral Cities content on the Web. Going slow, waiting for Joe to put GIS staff up.
- Greenstone UFDC - JPEG 2000 to be used in the next week or so.
Student & Department
- Metalib - same
- UF Web Community meeting - starting the process of a new UF Web identity on the Web - moving towards a University template. Pushing the one identity, one-brand look.
- WebLog server - crashed, had to reinstall.
- Students return Wednesday.