Systems Staff Meeting Notes
July 18, 2006
July 18, 2006
Present: Will Chaney, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, , Ying Tang, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Car insurance is horrible. Insurance, in general, is the equivalent of betting against the house.
- Ying's last working day in Systems: August 10.
- Welcome new Systems staff member: Amy Polk.
- Library Council Retreat - reviewed Library mission statement/vision. Reviewed goals for 2006-2007. Priority: $15 million cut from the collection. Other items of top consideration: development, recruitment and retention of an excellent staff. Following recent position restructuring, will follow up with upgrading our IT positions to fit campus IT class.
- Next week: Systems move to room 100. Need room layout. Will to carve it out. Anything on the carpet or tile needs to come up. Will probably be out of the area for 1-2 months. Pack & identify items. Move to start on Monday. Phones will be shifted. We will have access to the server room and vaults. Will need to contact the project supervisor before coming down to the room.
- Library West opening - may be next week.
- Lot of orders are currently being processed.
- Bits and pieces coming in for West. Pete Reilly from Media Tech says he has all of the equipment that we ordered. August 17th is the start date to assemble the classrooms. 10 days given to complete the project.
Software Projects Status
- Backup Exec won't back up the Exchange server. Will has placed a service call.
- Video server - power installation currently underway. Opening of West is dependent on this server. Will have an additional power unit.
- Greenstone development server is not backed up yet.
- High-end computers to be set up in West next week. Geoffrey to show Amy the imaging process.
- AD - on hold until 2008.
- MSL - Account to order an enunciator - involves a PC and network connection. Facilities will probably install it.
- Quality Control - document for development and testing standards - Winston is almost finished.
- Training database - a requirement document is being sent to HR & HSS. It will have two sides: offered/taken and teaching. Can it add Net G, Verizon and other training courses? To be considered. Unless HR can provide a history, it will start at implementation.
- Grant Tracking - still reviewing. Phase 1 almost finished.
- ILLIAD can be removed from this list.
- ERES - met with Melody Royster - application is in testing - want to be in use by fall. They are happy with it, just a few cosmetic cleanups.
- Ying, Mark and Winston discussed last tasks and documentation.
Students and Departments
- Circ Manual can come off the list.
- MetaLib continues.
- New thing: new UF wordmark/graphic. No seals - only on diplomas. Check: www.identity.ufl.edu Need to change the Library Web page header. Geoffrey to change the BBS.
Systems Security Management
- OPS budget to remain the same for next year.
- Meeting held.