Systems Staff Meeting Notes
May 22, 2006
May 22, 2006
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Mark Sullivan, Ying Tang, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Mark returns from his trip to Guyana. He says it's a nice place. Went to an incredible waterfall. He also got engaged to his girlfriend, Cathy, while he was there. The wedding will be in about a year.
- Will's daughter thought the cake he got to celebrate Cynthia's birthday today was for her - as it was her birthday over the weekend. She couldn't understand why the name Cynthia was on the cake. They told her that she was adopted and Cynthia is her real name.
- Bobbie found a wedding band that dates back to 5-29-76 - heavy sterling silver.
- WORD documents - Day Zero attack - do not open WORD attachments. Microsoft should have a fix by June 13th.
- Exchange 2003 server - spam mail detection update has come through. Updates occur on dates other than just the second Tuesday of the month. The WSUS server is getting them before the MS white papers.
- Systems carpeting project still set for August 1. We may want to think about reconfiguring the offices as well.
- Public Service Technical Coordinator position posted.
- West - still ordering. Got Statement of Work, but it was not complete.
- Still need to order for Media Area, Classrooms and Staff Training Room.
- VISA deadline: June 12 out of town/state. June 19 in town. After these dates, all charges have to be pre-approved by Business Services.
- Liaisons Committee discussing the possibility of a group of super liaisons to work on any staff and public machines. They would be devoting 50% of time to IT. Regular liaisons to remain at 10%. Trying to find incentives - may change job titles to IT description. This is all only being discussed in the committee wish list.
Software Projects Status
- Installation of keyboard, mouse and monitor in Rack 1, UPS - Rack 3 - nothing done yet. Brad is currently putting in an outlet right now for Rack 3.
- Trouble Ticket from Erich re: BBS - transfer to Geoffrey.
- AD - moving slowly. Their list is long - plenty are waiting. They should be over 50% converted to AD by Fall. IT reorg.
Students and Departments
- Mark was training folks in Guyana on the Digital Library quality control tool and database. The training was popular and well-received.
- ILLIAD to be transferred to a hosted server at OCLC. Atlas is working out a few issues. All updates should take place some time in June.
- ARIEL will probably migrate to Odyssey after the ILLIAD conversion. Will need to find out the hardware specs for their scanners.
- Winston will be out at an Ex-Libris conference on June 7-9. It should tap into ALEPH and FXS.
- Michelle, Melody & Yasheen - revived Chris' backend program for EReserves. Phase One is closed, they will submit a new request for version two.
- Ying will be out for three weeks.
- Ephemeral Cities should be completed in the next couple of months.
- Grace had to add a class, so we will not have phone coverage (students) until 9:30AM.